[SOLVED] Potential coffee drip in tower, not sure how to proceed

Aug 8, 2019
About 7 hours ago I lifted a cup of coffee at my desk and it stuck to my coaster, causing it to jerk up faster than normal and splashing about a third of the cup onto my mousepad. I only keep drinks on the opposite side of the desk from my computer (which is on the ground next to the desk about 6 feet away), so none of that coffee got anywhere even close to it

I would've thought there was no chance any coffee got into my machine, but I checked immediately and saw just a single tiny drop on the outside of the case, apparently got flung across the room when the cup jerked up, so I immediately turned off and unplugged my computer to be safe. For the record: I was in the middle of a game when this happened and nothing turned off, no issues at all, I just turned it off myself when I saw a coffee drop on the case.

Wiped off the single drop on the case and checked around, and found a few (3-4) tiny spots of coffee on/around the air holes at the top of the computer (pictured below, but the pic was taken after wiping everything off).

I then opened my computer up, removed the GPU but not the CPU or cooler, and scanned through the whole case for 20 minutes to find and clean up any coffee I found, but I didn't find a drop anywhere. I've left my computer powered off since it happened, which again was about 7 hours ago.

Given that I couldn't find any tiny drops anywhere in the case or on the components even after going through everything with a flashlight, and given that my computer was on when this happened and didn't shut down, how worried do I need to be? Do I have to remove the CPU and cooler so I can make sure I've checked every inch of the motherboard?

I'm very comfortable installing CPUs and coolers but not very comfortable removing them. The computer has already been off for 7 hours, should I just wait another 24 or 48 before powering on to make sure any coffee has evaporated if it got in there (is that an accurate figure? Not sure how long it would take)? Or is the fact that the computer didn't shut down and there's no sign of any coffee getting inside the case or on components enough?

IMG-20190819-171718.jpg

Solution
Given that there was no direct spill, and no evidence of it inside the case and the system did not short out, you are most likely fine.
If its already been over 24 hours you are probably good to start it back up, if it was a direct spill that required some cleaning, id recommend longer.
Aug 8, 2019
It depends a lot of what's inside your coffee - milk, sugar, cream? If it's black coffee, I would wait a day and they turn it on. If there was milk / sugar - these remain, and may create future prblems.

Thanks for the advice! Luckily it was just black coffee... I'll wait until tomorrow after work to power it back on. By then it will have been turned off and unplugged for about 30 hours.

Given that there was no direct spill, and no evidence of it inside the case and the system did not short out, you are most likely fine.
If its already been over 24 hours you are probably good to start it back up, if it was a direct spill that required some cleaning, id recommend longer.

Solution