Potential Damage after Power Surge? (Not sure whether this is the right place)

dunnousername

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
Hello all,

I have a system which has been working fine for a long time but has recently started having problems.

The system was running great, albeit a bit hot, for several months. It has an Asus motherboard with an FX-6300, 2TB SSHD, EVGA PSU, etc. I have more info at https://pastebin.com/KZT17UzF.
(Yes, it's running Linux)

After a power surge (which the BIOS told me, it has some sort of surge capability inside), it was acting a bit strange. Some CPU-intensive programs ran on startup (BOINC) and were driving it a bit hot, however nothing bad happened. The weird part is when I do a git clone, it shuts down in the middle. I've used git tens or hundreds of times in the past on this PC. I'm not sure if this is a thermal shutdown, or perhaps damage to the PSU resulting in lower capable power. I can't get ACPI drivers to work even if that would answer the problem.

I'm not sure if anyone can figure out exactly what is happening, however a list of things that could have happened would be nice for a quick idea.

Thanks,
~DunnoUsername

dunnousername

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
It looks like what happened is somehow my BIOS settings got reset; this thing is very poor thermally (it has to have the case open to run) and I have a card with no real airflow as well. Turns out it was this "AMD Turbo CORE" or something along with my fan settings which got reset. It must have drawn waaay too much power, and it is at least 10 watts lower now for the CPU. I'm running a git clone on a repo along with watch -n 0.5 sensors and everything seems like it's working (fingers crossed).

P.S. Can you not confirm your own answer? I don't see the button...

P.P.S. Well, in the mean time, as I can't find delete, I'm just gonna leave this here...