[SOLVED] Potential GPU defect???

Jan 25, 2021
Hi,

I've had my PC for the past couple years and only in the past week or so have I encountered this issue. Maybe once a day, my screen goes black, monitor displays "no signal", and my audio cuts out, however, my PC is still running. Nothing makes the screen reappear except for turning the pc off at the plug on the wall (not even holding down on power button switches it off). This can happen while gaming (only once while playing Rust the other day), or while doing a really mundane task such as sending/ checking emails...

I've seen other posts pointing to this being a GPU problem and others saying its a PSU problem, I'm not sure which of these I have (hopefully the latter). My GPU temp while gaming never seems to exceed 60C, and even after the display goes off the GPU's fans still turn with the rest of the PC.

It's worth noting that today my new CPU, Mobo, and PSU arrived as I was planning on upgrading these anyway, so hopefully they will resolve this issue.
I also sent a support email to ASUS about this as my GPU is (maybe?) still in warranty and the responder sent me a link today to do a clean reinstallation of my GPU drivers. Since then the problem was fixed until the monitor displayed "no signal" again, only this time the PC had restarted itself and was back on my 'lock screen'. After logging in it said chrome and other applications were not shut down correctly, the same way it would say if I had just unplugged my PC at the wall as I have done previously.

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue or my new PSU, MB, CPU will solve the issue when I install them tomorrow, as I don't have the money to replace my GPU right now...

My Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Motherboard
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 6GB (OC) GPU
  • Corsair CXM 550W Power Supply
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB HDD
  • Running Windows 10 OS
  • ASUS VP278H 27" 75Hz Monitor
New parts that arrived today:

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
  • ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi) Motherboard
  • Corsair RMX 750W Power Supply
Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me with this issue. If you need any more information from me about my PC I am more than happy to provide.

Latest posts