[SOLVED] Potential GPU issue

Jul 19, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a pre-made gaming PC with a RTX 3080. I'm finding that there are "artefacts" when I'm playing games/running benchmarks. They aren't really obvious, but sometimes there would be flickering shadows etc. Because I just bought this rig, I can still return it, but I'm not sure whether I'm just seeing things or whether the GPU is actually faulty. When a GPU is failing, is it typically really obvious? Or could it start subtly?

Also worth mentioning that I'm using the card to mine on off time, but have undervolted the card so the VRAM is only reaching a maximum temp of 90C. I was mining for the past two days and I haven't gotten any invalid shares, but within the last 10 hours, I've been getting invalid shares at the exact same OC settings that I was mining with previously. I'm also undervolting the GPU greatly when mining so I don't damage it.

Because this gaming PC was quite pricey, I want to make sure that it'll perform and it can last. And so, based on this information, do you think I should send the system back for replacement? or am I just being paranoid? Any help/input would be appreciated. thanks. Is there anything I can do to make sure that the GPU is not faulty?

Solution
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a pre-made gaming PC with a RTX 3080. I'm finding that there are "artefacts" when I'm playing games/running benchmarks. They aren't really obvious, but sometimes there would be flickering shadows etc. Because I just bought this rig, I can still return it, but I'm not sure whether I'm just seeing things or whether the GPU is actually faulty. When a GPU is failing, is it typically really obvious? Or could it start subtly?

Also worth mentioning that I'm using the card to mine on off time, but have undervolted the card so the VRAM is only reaching a maximum temp of 90C. I was mining for the past two days and I haven't gotten any invalid shares, but within the last 10 hours, I've been getting invalid...
Hi everyone,

Also worth mentioning that I'm using the card to mine on off time, but have undervolted the card so the VRAM is only reaching a maximum temp of 90C. I was mining for the past two days and I haven't gotten any invalid shares, but within the last 10 hours, I've been getting invalid shares at the exact same OC settings that I was mining with previously. I'm also undervolting the GPU greatly when mining so I don't damage it.

Because this gaming PC was quite pricey, I want to make sure that it'll perform and it can last. And so, based on this information, do you think I should send the system back for replacement? or am I just being paranoid? Any help/input would be appreciated. thanks. Is there anything I can do to make sure that the GPU is not faulty?

If you want your nice PC with it's expensive new GPU to last for a long time, I would advise against using it for mining.

Solution