Question Potential harmful device connected. How to check?

May 21, 2019
Hi, there.

I suspect that someone had been hacking my router, and using my wireless network to do some really bad things on the internet so his acts are traced to my place. Is there a way to make a thorough check? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not likely most routers have only very basic logs. Most log nothing about the end device. Some have abilities to log to remote servers but you have to set it up before you are not going to find anything after the fact.

Wifi using the current WPA2 is considered unhackable. Maybe some government can break it but even that is unlikely. In most those cases they are intercepting your date not trying to get onto your router.

Just change your password and be very sure you do not tell anyone, that should be enough to prevent any unauthorized access. Make sure a feature called WPS is disabled in your router this has massive security exposure and they still ship routers with it on for all the lazy people in the world that can't be bothered to type in a password even the first time.

After this nobody should be able to get into your router. In most cases it is the human part of the equation that causes the problems. If you are not careful who you tell the password to then you get security issues

May 21, 2019
Hi, guys, thanks for the replies.

I didn’t know WPA2 was this secure, but this surely took out my major concerns. It is a newly setup router and you got the part right, I didn’t bother change the password for a first time; on top of it I told my password to someone I know. I will make sure to change it then, and disable what you guys suggested me to. Thanks much on these advices.

kanewolf

Titan
You want a unique admin password. A unique WIFI password (different from admin). WPA2 pre-shared key encryption, WPS and UPNP disabled.
That will secure your network. It doesn't prevent someone from connecting an ethernet cable or factory resetting the router. Those are both physical security only type preventions.

May 21, 2019
Hi, thanks for the extra information.

It looks like the technician didn’t provide me the login account information, perhaps I will find it on the router. By admin password, do you mean the router ID password? Yes, I will make sure I change that too.

In many cases, there will be a label that contains the default login creds on it, to be used after a factory reset. If you don't have the login credentials, just reset the router to factory defaults, login and change the creds to ones that you will remember, then configure the router as has been mentioned, above.

May 21, 2019
Oh, by the way I was sleepy at the time I submitted the post, so I accidentally gave a vague statement. Now that I look at it, I really just meant fear of someone else’s actions be traced back to me, not necessarily my IP, if this makes sense. I stand corrected on this. However it’s basically the same thing as long as I changed my password, right?

May 21, 2019
I couldn’t find the username and password required to access my router settings, any ideas what should I do from this point? Is there a way to look for those instead of factory reset?

May 21, 2019
Hi, actually I somehow managed to find them and made all the preferred changes thanks to your help, so don’t worry about it, I think everything is alright now.

Thanks guys for helping on this, I appreciated it very much. Good luck on your stuffs.