[SOLVED] Potential Issues

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Greetings to you all,
I’m a student of Telecommunications and computer engineering and I was thinking on building the following system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GqTsBc
The warnings at the bottom ( besides the issue with the bios ) have got me worried, this is the first time I’m building a mini-itx and I’m unsure with the dimensions, I always try to mesure everything before hand but with the current pandemic, it’s a bit hard.
I was thinking on mounting the cpu cooler on the top but it seems that it’s not compatible, if you know of any other case that would allow for the components present in the build please let me know.
Regarding the ram, it should not pose a problem, right

Solution
Pcpartpicker is basically telling you they don't have any data regarding that cooler and various memory heatspreaders. With large air coolers this is a serious concern as very tall ram won't fit under certain heatsinks. However, an AIO, is basically just a pump housing or water block sitting on top of the CPU with tubes coming out of it. The memory could be any height and you should have no trouble routing the tubes. Though I suppose an extreme case with some of the older really tall DDR3 modules might physically block you in such a small chassis, but nothing to worry about here.

If you want the transparent option, I would do what is in that first build and put the CPU radiator on the bottom and vertically mount the GPU (you might need...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard supports CPUless BIOS flashing, so that isn't a concern.

AIO water cooler bypasses memory heatspreader interference issues completely.

Radiator support is a little more tricky. You appear to have selected a fairly thick GPU. So keep that in mind.

FAN SUPPORT - BOTTOM2x 120mm (recommended slim fans for GPUs wider than 2.5 PCI slots)
RADIATOR SUPPORT - BOTTOM120mm, 240mm, (recommended for custom loops only)
RADIATOR SUPPORT - SIDE120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, (max width 141mm, not compatible with vertical GPU installation)

I found two builds that have done this, so I think you are in the clear:

Vertical GPU mount with the CPU radiator in the bottom of the case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ky7TwP

This one is messy, but it all seems to fit:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Kdtp99

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Motherboard supports CPUless BIOS flashing, so that isn't a concern.

AIO water cooler bypasses memory heatspreader interference issues completely.

Radiator support is a little more tricky. You appear to have selected a fairly thick GPU. So keep that in mind.

FAN SUPPORT - BOTTOM2x 120mm (recommended slim fans for GPUs wider than 2.5 PCI slots)
RADIATOR SUPPORT - BOTTOM120mm, 240mm, (recommended for custom loops only)
RADIATOR SUPPORT - SIDE120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, (max width 141mm, not compatible with vertical GPU installation)

I found two builds that have done this, so I think you are in the clear:

Vertical GPU mount with the CPU radiator in the bottom of the case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ky7TwP

This one is messy, but it all seems to fit:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Kdtp99
First of all, Thank you for you answer!
What exactly do you mean by this? “AIO water cooler bypasses memory heatspreader interference issues completely.” That there won’t be a problem with the heatspreaders? If so that’s great news!

Also regarding the case, I knew you could put the radiator on the bottom or on the side panel, but since I was thinking on going for the transparent side panel to be able to view the inside, I won’t have the side for it, so my only option would be the bottom and for air flow, it’s probably not the best. The top would be a bit risky sinve it seems to be a bit of a tight space in there.

I know the gpu is a bit thicc but it seems to be able to be accommodated inside the case, altough I’m still looking for a case that could support the radiator without a hitch at the top and the rest of the components

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pcpartpicker is basically telling you they don't have any data regarding that cooler and various memory heatspreaders. With large air coolers this is a serious concern as very tall ram won't fit under certain heatsinks. However, an AIO, is basically just a pump housing or water block sitting on top of the CPU with tubes coming out of it. The memory could be any height and you should have no trouble routing the tubes. Though I suppose an extreme case with some of the older really tall DDR3 modules might physically block you in such a small chassis, but nothing to worry about here.

If you want the transparent option, I would do what is in that first build and put the CPU radiator on the bottom and vertically mount the GPU (you might need to buy a PCIe riser cable, I didn't check if the case comes with one). Already overkill in terms of cooling, you can always add some small feet to the case to get a little more breathing room. But with the fans at the bottom, the air would have no where to go but through the radiator and any exhaust fans you add will help.

Reactions: noxinum
Solution

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

If you want the transparent option, I would do what is in that first build and put the CPU radiator on the bottom and vertically mount the GPU (you might need to buy a PCIe riser cable, I didn't check if the case comes with one). Already overkill in terms of cooling, you can always add some small feet to the case to get a little more breathing room. But with the fans at the bottom, the air would have no where to go but through the radiator and any exhaust fans you add will help.
True, but putting the radiator on the bottom won’t be bad? I think the case comes with some feet so it’s not going to sit flat on the floor and definitely comes with a PCIe riser. I wanted to be able to see inside, hence me asking if anyone got any other cases that could accommodate this build
What if I changed the cooler to a single 120mm fan + radiator?

Also came up with this build, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vcr7qp
It’s similar but also incorporates the aesthetic that I was looking for, now in terms of performance, I’m not sure if it drops on the gpu

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most RTX 3070 are going to be within a few percent of each other in terms of performance. Real difference will be in noise output. The important thing now is to actually get one, then build around it.

I don't see anything wrong with that second plan. Maybe the GPU will be a little starved for air since the intake at the front will be occupied with the CPU cooler.

Reactions: noxinum

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Most RTX 3070 are going to be within a few percent of each other in terms of performance. Real difference will be in noise output. The important thing now is to actually get one, then build around it.

I don't see anything wrong with that second plan. Maybe the GPU will be a little starved for air since the intake at the front will be occupied with the CPU cooler.
I think I’m going with the inicial one, but I’ve done some revisions, I can survive without the rbg plus saves me some money haha here’s the revision, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKZRbh

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Looks good
Aigh, gonna proceed with it, tho might get 2 fans for the bottom as well, to help the gpu get fresh air.
Actually the evga website recommends at least 650 psu supply, is: Silverstone 700 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply better or different than Silverstone SFX 700 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Last edited: