Jan 25, 2016
System:
Intel i7 3770k
Asus sabertooth Z77
2x 8gb corsair vengeance DDR3 1600mhz/pc12800
EVGA GTX 680 4gb / Intel HD 4000
Corsair HX750 750W PSU

Issue:
Going back a few months I began to get issues powering on the PC. All LED's and fans worked but the red memory light on the motherboard would stay on and the system wouldn't post, so no video output, no BIOS, no mouse LED etc. Hard powering the machine off and then back on would fix the issue easily in the beginning so I mostly ignored the problem.
Things deteriorated over time requiring multiple powering off and back on for the system to post until one day when the computer stopped posting altogether. I then found removing the GTX680 and using onboard graphics allowed the system to start successfully the majority of the time. Things continue to deteriorate and I now find maybe 1 in 5-10 power on's will work even with onboard graphics. The strange thing is that once the machine posts successfully the machine will remain perfectly stable throughout use, I've not had a single crash.

Some of the things i've tried:

• Swapped out graphics card for a known working one
• Tried both RAM sticks individually and in different sockets.
• Ran memory test with mdsched.exe (no issues found)
• Swapped out the Power supply for a known working one
• Disconnected all none essential hardware (including case fans) before attempting to boot

I havent tried reseating CPU or flashing the BIOS yet.

No hardware was changed leading to these issues beginning. I'm thinking this must be a motherboard issue but I don't have a spare to test with and socket 1155 gaming motherboards seem pretty expensive considering their age.

If any experts out there have any input before I write the board off I would be grateful.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

Ziphikai

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks Vic, appreciated. I've been putting off flashing the bios as i've heard many horror stories but I guess I don't have much to lose now. I'll follow the advice in the youtube video, and also give the bios flash a try.