Question Potential Motherboard Issue

Sep 27, 2022
I have an HP 700-230qe computer. The computer was off for a few weeks. Went to turn it on and it's completely dead. Below is what I've done for troubleshooting. Mobo is MS-7826 version 1.0. After all of this, I think the mobo is dead but I'm happy to try any other tests.

1. tested electrical outlet with multimeter (outlet works)
  2. tested computer electrical cord with multimeter (cord works fine)
  3. used another computer electrical cord that I know works
  4. inserted another PSU that I know works
  5. hooked up the original PSU to another computer (PSU works)
  6. did paper clip test on PSU (it worked)
  7. tested voltage coming out of PSU with multimeter (all voltage was within spec)
  8. changed CMOS battery even though old CMOS battery had plenty of voltage
  9. unplugged various components from mobo.
  10. unplugged ALL components from mobo except CPU and PSU main power and PSU power running to CPU and front panel connector to power button
  11. unplugged the connector that runs from the power button to the mobo and tried starting computer by jumping the power pins
  12. used another power button that I know works
  13. inspected both sides of mobo for damage and found none

Computer is still completely dead. The only thing I haven't done is take out the CPU but I don't have another CPU that fits this mobo. Am I crazy or is my mobo dead? Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

Given the age I'd be inclined to agree that it's very likely this is a motherboard issue. CPUs don't usually just "go bad" from sitting. Motherboards do occasionally.

If this has a graphics card I'd try removing it and see if it will power on at all. If it does not, I'd try removing all but one stick of RAM, and if no good try the other stick or sticks.

If neither of those things helps then it's probably time to move on to a newer system because the cost and availability of a replacement motherboard for that CPU, which will require a motherboard with a Z87, Z97, B85 or H97 chipset, isn't worth what you'll pay for them. And that's if you can find a decent, trustworthy, new old stock part. Buying a used motherboard of that age puts you almost back where you are now since you have no idea if it will last a week, two months, two years or even power on. But, regardless, pretty clearly based on what you've already done it almost has to be either the motherboard or CPU, although a bad graphics card if it has one might also be suspect as well.

Sep 27, 2022
Thanks. The GPU works fine (I moved it to another computer to test it). I did try powering on without it with no luck. I also tried removing everything but 1 stick of RAM (cycling through each of the 6 sticks) with no luck. I appreciate the help.

In that case, there is really nothing left besides the motherboard and CPU, and CPUs just rarely (It happens, but I've seen like maybe FIVE just "go bad" due to age in 35 years of doing this) fail out of the blue. Normally, for a CPU to fail, there needs to be some kind of abuse. Overclocking, absurd voltage, dropped on ground, bent pins on CPU or motherboard, short circuit, something. Just being without power for a while wouldn't be very likely to cause this but a motherboard can fail at any time because they use capacitors and other fail prone components and age can definitely cause those things to fail.

Seems like you've mostly already done most of this, but as a last ditch effort it might be helpful. IDK.