Question Potential overclocking of AMD E-300

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
From the title I know this sounds crazy, I use a few old laptops mostly running MX-Linux. I recently acquired a Lenovo G585 with a AMD e-300. This thing is slow as molasses and I am honestly not attracted to it in any way. So I'm thinking of trying to slightly overclock to perhaps improve it's performance a little. I am pretty sure that the laptop can supply a little more than the 18 Watts that the existing soldered processor uses because there are variations of the same laptop that go into the ~25 Watt rage. I am curious as to if any of you have ever attempted anything like this and what would you recommend it if so? I'm not worried about damaging it, just want to know if it can be done.

Thanks!
Nate

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
You can Overclock both sides of the APU with Brazos Tweaker but it will get really hot very fast. Replacing the 5400rpm hard drive with a SSD helps quite a bit but still, there is only so much you can do with a APU that was slow when it launched.
Thanks for the advice, I'm already using a spare SSD I had lying around, I'll give mild overclocking a try and see if it does anything. If not, this laptop may have to hit the pasture.