[SOLVED] (Potential) PSU issue?

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Greetings.

I built a new mITX rig recently, and i noticed this thing with the PSU.
I did not know if it is normal, but i thought id share it here, just in case i happen to be near some explosive hazard.

Basically, when i press the power button, the psu makes a click noise, and its fan spins a tiny bit, then stops, but the rest of the LEDs of the pc light up. Not the rest of the PC fans however.
Nothing happens for the next 5 seconds or so, and after that, it powers or normally. Except the psu fan, which is standing still.
Even during gameplay of some games, that should be able to make the psu run, the fan still does not spin.
I have not OCd anything, and also put ECO mode on the GPU and CPU.

Is this the ECO feature mode of the PSU and i am paranoid, or is there an issue with the PSU that i have to look after?

Parts:
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM
Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Pulse
G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4-3200MHz

Solution
Which bios version are you running? If the one that the motherboard came with can you look at the sticker that sits on the bios chip. Otherwise look in the bios itself or do the next,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

If maybe needing to update bios (or it would just be good) first update the AMD chipset drivers to latest,
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops
only...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Which bios version are you running? If the one that the motherboard came with can you look at the sticker that sits on the bios chip. Otherwise look in the bios itself or do the next,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

If maybe needing to update bios (or it would just be good) first update the AMD chipset drivers to latest,
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops
only after that update bios. Might even need to update bios to an in between, but since the 3600 seems to be running am i not sure.

Suggest this since the fans do not start right away.

Solution

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016

only after that update bios. Might even need to update bios to an in between, but since the 3600 seems to be running am i not sure.

Suggest this since the fans do not start right away.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse, MTS-B0)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 3593 MHz (36.00x99.8)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
BIOS: P3.70, 11/18/2019
Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 16-18-18-38
  • 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GIS
  • 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GIS
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Navi 10 XT) [Sapphire Technology]
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: TS512GMTE220S, 500.1 GB, NVMe
Sound: ATI/AMD Navi10 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Starship/Matisse/Vermeer - HD Audio Controller
Network: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Network: Intel I211AT Copper (Pearsonville) Network Adapter
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19041.508 (2004/May 2020 Update)

This is what i got from hwinfo.
Maybe i will try a bios update, but im not sure how that will help.
As long as it will not be dangerous for my rig, it is fine, im just scared for any long term effects for the PSU mainly, since it is not being cooled.

TRENDING THREADS