[SOLVED] Potential ram issue when upgrading to Ryzen 5 3600

May 15, 2020
Hello! I recently upgraded my GPU and CPU and am having some trouble getting everything working.

Old parts
  • Ryzen 3 1200 cpu
  • ASRock AB350M motherboard
  • GEFORCE GTX 1050ti gpu
  • Corsair CX450W power supply
  • Gskill AEGIS DDR4-3000 8gb ram
New parts
  • Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • GEFORCE RTX 2060s GPU
  • Added a second stick of ram, identical to the first
  • flashed BIOS to the version required to handle the new Cpu
Currently, the PC will boot to BIOS and then get stuck on an ASROCK loading screen or will blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 (a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed). First I thought it may be a power supply issue as the 2060s lists that it needs a minimum 550W power supply, but since putting back in the old GPU the same issues have been persisting. The computer fails to boot even to BIOS with both sticks of ram in and shuts down with one quiet beep. With just one in it boots to BIOS and it lists the ram as DDR4-2133. I have tried changing DRAM frequency to 3000 in oc tweaker, but that hasn't worked. Any and all thoughts would help out, I've exhausted my friends smarter than me, and have far surpassed any guesses I may have had.

Solution
I can boot to BIOS but not to the OS, it gets stuck on an ASROCK loading screen or blue screens Immediately. With both sticks of ram in place, it doesn't even get to BIOS and shuts itself down after ~20-30 seconds with one quiet beep.
You need to attempt a windows repair or try reinstalling windows with 1 stick. Sounds like you’ve corrupted a windows file with bad boots.
Hello! I recently upgraded my GPU and CPU and am having some trouble getting everything working.

Old parts
  • Ryzen 3 1200 cpu
  • GEFORCE GTX 1050ti gpu
New parts
  • Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • GEFORCE RTX 2060s GPU
Currently, the PC will boot to BIOS and then get stuck on an ASROCK loading screen or will blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 (a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed). First I thought it may be a power supply issue as the 2060s lists that it needs a minimum 550W power supply, but since putting back in the old GPU the same issues have been persisting. The computer fails to boot even to BIOS with both sticks of ram in and shuts down with one quiet beep. With just one in it boots to BIOS and it lists the ram as DDR4-2133. I have tried changing DRAM frequency to 3000 in oc tweaker, but that hasn't worked. Any and all thoughts would help out, I've exhausted my friends smarter than me, and have far surpassed any guesses I may have had.
Ryzen is trickier with RAM than Intel, however even with Intel, you will always be advised to buy RAM in matched pairs. Buying 2 separate sticks of RAM is your culprit, EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER. To ensure RAM will work together it is best to buy in matched pairs. I’d return the new RAM and buy a 16GB (2x8GB) set.

you should load optimized defaults - and the board may not support 3000Mhz with two sticks, 2933 may work with manual tweaking.

many 1st gen boards are like this

Old parts
  • Ryzen 3 1200 cpu
  • GEFORCE GTX 1050ti gpu
New parts
  • Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • GEFORCE RTX 2060s GPU

May 15, 2020
Ryzen is trickier with RAM than Intel, however even with Intel, you will always be advised to buy RAM in matched pairs. Buying 2 separate sticks of RAM is your culprit, EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER. To ensure RAM will work together it is best to buy in matched pairs. I’d return the new RAM and buy a 16GB (2x8GB) set.
Thanks for the response, and that's solid advice, but I'm hoping to get the setup to work with one ram stick first as it seems to be another issue.

View: https://youtu.be/ASlY4lr3mlU?t=195
This chart leads me to believe a B350 motherboard doesn't support your new 3600-series CPU, only the APUs (which are really 2000-series).

Or more specifically, it is up to Asrock if they want to support 3000-series (with a BIOS update) but absolutely not a requirement from AMD.
The QVL lists every Ryzen CPU as compatible for his board. His CPU will work. The issue is he needs the latest bios for the updated AGESA and for the best memory compatibility.

May 15, 2020
The QVL lists every Ryzen CPU as compatible for his board. His CPU will work. The issue is he needs the latest bios for the updated AGESA and for the best memory compatibility.
I do have the latest BIOS - 5.90, and I am not sure about AGESA but will look into updating that. Thanks for the responses! Here's hoping that was the issue.

May 15, 2020
So you can boot with one stick of RAM?
I can boot to BIOS but not to the OS, it gets stuck on an ASROCK loading screen or blue screens Immediately. With both sticks of ram in place, it doesn't even get to BIOS and shuts itself down after ~20-30 seconds with one quiet beep.

You need to attempt a windows repair or try reinstalling windows with 1 stick. Sounds like you’ve corrupted a windows file with bad boots.

Solution