Question Potential SFF Build - I'm worried about overheating ?

Jan 21, 2024
About to buy the following build:
CPU: i7-14700k
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B760-I
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix XT
GPU: Zotac Gaming Trinity 4070 Ti Super
RAM: G.Skill Ripgaws S5 64GB (2x32gb)
PSU: Corsair SF1000L (Yes, overkill)
Case: Dan A4-H20

Going for a small case because I travel a lot. But I'm a little worried about overheating with only a 240mm AIO and no other fans. I'd like a case as small as possible, but if I'm going to get major improvements with a little bit bigger case like a NR200P Max, then it'd be worth it for me.

Can anyone tell me if they think this build will be ok or if they'd recommend I bump to the NR200P Max for the 280mm AIO? And would that bump make the system ok?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to do what all people who venture into SFF builds do, is make a mock up build with cardboard for you to understand how much volume the case actually takes up in person, this also helps you gauge how big of a case it can be to lug around.

I state this because people keep forgetting that an SFF build will have it's own set of challenges and people who do venture into this tend to come out of it with a lot of disappointments, if you've built a full or mid sized build prior to this.

Yes, 280mm would have more surface area to dissipate the heat but you're adding volume to the build. At the end of the day you will need to live with the case, all we can do is make suggestions.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Might not be a bad idea to peruse build guides for that case:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=a4-h2o+build

I became interested in ITX builds back some years ago around a Lian Li case I was originally given as a file server. Building in a case as small as some of these are takes a great deal of planning insomuch as things like where the cables hook up, how long or short a cable will be needed alongside where can it be tucked. It is almost imperitive that you do really good wire management in order not to cause issues with air flow.

It appears the case you are choosing to go with has an intake for the PSU. Definitely use the fresh air method for that. Pulling system hot air through a power supply tends to be a bad idea.

Last edited:
I think you will be OK.
No, you will not be able to get the maximum performance that a 14700K can give.
But, slightly less is still very good.
This video puts it in perspective so far as gaming usage:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

The only negative to a 1000w psu is that it costs more.
But, it will be loafing and operating in the most efficient middle third of it's range.

If budget is not that big of a problem, consider one of the non K processors.
They have a 65w TDP and do not need exceptional cooling.
The i9-14900 will boost to 5.8
Of course, it costs a bit more.
The i7-14700K boost is to 5.6
Or, the I7-14700 will be a bit less at 5.4

Jan 21, 2024
I think you will be OK.
No, you will not be able to get the maximum performance that a 14700K can give.
But, slightly less is still very good.
This video puts it in perspective so far as gaming usage:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

The only negative to a 1000w psu is that it costs more.
But, it will be loafing and operating in the most efficient middle third of it's range.

If budget is not that big of a problem, consider one of the non K processors.
They have a 65w TDP and do not need exceptional cooling.
The i9-14900 will boost to 5.8
Of course, it costs a bit more.
The i7-14700K boost is to 5.6
Or, the I7-14700 will be a bit less at 5.4
Never considered doing an i9 14900 non k.
Can't find many comparisons online between that and the 14700k (plenty with the 14900K).
Will that be a performance upgrade or a slight downgrade? In gaming and in work?

Sounds like temps would definitely be better with the 14900.