Question Potential to upgrade laptop component(s)

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I have a Gigabyte gaming laptop with the following specs:

CPU: i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16GB Single-Channel (17-17-17-39) (Unknown Mfg)
Motherboard: P57X v7
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 4GB
SSD: Transcend 238GB (TS256GMTS800) SATA III
HDD: Hitachi 1TB SATA III 7200RPM

My concern/question is two parts.

1.) My system runs hot. Yes, I know gaming laptops run hot. But mine is constantly in the 70-85C range while playing WoW on Settings 1 with just about everything turned off except for view distance (set at 10). I find this to be ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. I keep the laptop clean by opening it up and carefully removing/cleaning/replacing everything I can. Only one fan of the 1070 can be opened up. The other is combined with a heatpipe and would require tearing up a bunch of thermal paste on other components to access.

The computer I built for my wife is using an i5-3570K along with a GTX 1070 and she's able to run much better settings. Yes, once again, laptops run hot, but come on? Really? I always have my laptop on a cooler that pushes a lot of air.

So, are there things that can be done to improve my thermal performance and allow me to actually get my money out of my supposed "gaming" laptop? Note: I've tried disabling the Intel HD Graphics 630 in an attempt to lower heat generation, but that causes another set of issues. So it's running while I play and pushing out just about as much heat even though I've set the 1070 as the primary "card" to use.

2.) Seeing as the RAM is single channel, I was considering changing it to dual-channel and bumping it up to 32GB (max for MB). Crucial has a few kits around $140, but I'm not sure exactly if it would impact my system enough to make it worth it. Aside from that, the SSD and HDD are both accessible and up-gradable, but not sure those make sense.

So, heat is the most important thing. I want to be able to actually use video settings that a GTX 1070/i7-7700 can put out without burning up my whole laptop. Upgrading the RAM/etc is secondary, but I'll do it if performance gains are appreciable.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
1. Looks to me that you need to tear down the laptop and change the thermal paste and pads for higher quality stuff to deal with the heat. In the interim period also inspect the vents for dust bunnies.

You can't really compare a desktop with a laptop due to their architecture and more importantly their form factors and limitations in their inherent designs.

2. What is the SKU to your Gigabyte Laptop? We can understand the max ram you can drop in that unit. Mind you, mixing and matching isn't healthy so you're going to have to invest in a kit(most likely).

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
1. Looks to me that you need to tear down the laptop and change the thermal paste and pads for higher quality stuff to deal with the heat. In the interim period also inspect the vents for dust bunnies.

You can't really compare a desktop with a laptop due to their architecture and more importantly their form factors and limitations in their inherent designs.

2. What is the SKU to your Gigabyte Laptop? We can understand the max ram you can drop in that unit. Mind you, mixing and matching isn't healthy so you're going to have to invest in a kit(most likely).

Yeah, I know they're not apples to apples, but still...come on.

In terms of the thermal paste, I've never messed around with that on a laptop before, just towers. They seemed to have used pads instead of paste. I'm unsure what I should get to replace all of them with.

I'm not sure how to pull up the SKU. There are a few stickers on the bottom with strings of numbers I don't recoginze.

9RRP57X7-8011D0001
...and...
WS/n: GGHCC0811A0085

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
[QUOTE="boju, post: 21168082, member: 132708"

Regards to cooling, get a cooling pad.
[/QUOTE]

"I always have my laptop on a cooler that pushes a lot of air."

And again, I understand laptop and towers are different. But this just seems a little insane.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, it really depends on whether this is a laptop 1070 or a Max-Q 1070. The laptop 1070s are very close to the desktop 1070, far closer than in most laptop/desktop GPU pairs. The Max-Q can be a good 15% slower because it's designed to not hit 100W.

Reactions: boju

TRENDING THREADS