[SOLVED] Potential Upgrade for MSI R7 260X

THINKorthogonal

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I’ve got an older system (overall runs great) with said GPU and the following components:

Intel Xeon e3-1245v3 CPU
MSI R7 260X
32 GB DDR3 1600
1TB SSD
6 TB combined HDD
650W PSU
I am currently running dual monitors: an LG 27” 4K 60 hz and an HP 25” 1080p 60 hz (FREESYNC is enabled for both monitors).

I mostly use this system for the web and photo editing. I’d like to begin doing some 4K video editing and some gaming (mostly Use XBOX ONE but now have game pass for PC, so why not). I built this PC in 2014 and I think all the components r still more than adequate for my purposes except for the GPU...not sure if it will be adequate for these new demands or should I upgrade to something newer. If I upgrade to something newer (~$150 price range...not really interested in going higher than that and in no hurry, can wait for holiday sales) what would your suggestions be (systems runs fine with AMD so am leaning to that approach since monitors r Freesync). Would I gain much capability over my current GPU with this cost upgrade or would I just be wasting money for minor improvements? My biggest concern is not the gaming (I’ll play whatever settings will work) but I want to ensure their won’t be issues wiTh 4K video editing using my current card.

logainofhades

Titan
Make/model of the psu? The EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra would be a good balance for your gaming, and video editing, without going overboard on the gaming side. Your CPU will hold you back with really high end cards. This particular model has a 2080 die, that was cut down to run as a 2060, and games as such, but it is superior in workstation loads.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($329.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $329.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-02 09:37 EDT-0400

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUFRBnJdx3Y

THINKorthogonal

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
The PSU is an EVGA. That GPU is way more than I’m willing to spend. I’m really not interested in going over $150ish...my Intent is to do a cheap upgrade to keep the system adequate for another 3-5 years and be able to do 4K editing and keep it relevant for some gaming on my 4K monitor with xbox game pass.

THINKorthogonal

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Which of those would be better GPUs for 4K video editing? I think all of My other components will be good enough for 4K even though they r a bit dated. I just want to make sure I get a GPU that will allow 4K editing wiThout breaking the bank...any gaming benefits is purely secondary.

TRENDING THREADS