[SOLVED] Potential upgrade question

Mar 21, 2020
Good evening,

I have a wee and slightly old computer to run the odd game on. Its really struggling nowerdays and I am considering upgrades. I am not wanting anything special - I am more than happy to play games on very low settings, but lag has become problematic. Games aiming for - Divinity Original Sin 2, perhaps Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (I played a few worlds on this before it got unbearable). I have perhaps £200 - maybe a spot more.

I have used CPU-upgrade to establish that the i7-4790 could be a potential cpu upgrade. And that perhaps a GTX 970 could help me out. No idea if these would really work with what I have got. Perhaps, I am buggered - any help appreciated?! Current specs below -

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium G3258 @ 3.20GHz 38 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0) 32 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG (1360x768@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 28 °C

Solution
Your monitor isn't a very high resolution, so it's not going to be hard for a GPU to produce high frame rates (far in excess of 60FPS) at that resolution.

Power draw = how many watts your system consumes. You only have a 350W PSU (yes, true 350W, and for some reason, it has two 6+2 pin cables for GPUs...which is alarming), it's also 80+ Gold efficiency, so that tells me it's not junk, but you need to be careful about how many watts your system consumes with this PSU. Your current G3258 and GTX750Ti don't use much power at all by comparison, probably 120W.
An i7-4770K or 4790K would be the best while keeping your motherboard and RAM. You'll have to find that in the used market.

What used marketplaces are there in the UK? We'll need to know how much the CPU is going to cost before we can make decisions on the GPU.

What Make, model, and wattage power supply do you have?

Your monitor isn't a very high resolution, so it's not going to be hard for a GPU to produce high frame rates (far in excess of 60FPS) at that resolution.

Power draw = how many watts your system consumes. You only have a 350W PSU (yes, true 350W, and for some reason, it has two 6+2 pin cables for GPUs...which is alarming), it's also 80+ Gold efficiency, so that tells me it's not junk, but you need to be careful about how many watts your system consumes with this PSU. Your current G3258 and GTX750Ti don't use much power at all by comparison, probably 120W.

Solution