[SOLVED] Potential Upgrade

RallenMarrow

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
A friend of mine thinks I should upgrade my CPU to something newer, but I don't think I need to upgrade because I feel like my CPU is good enough. I have a 4790k overclocked to 4.4 all cores in an Asus MAXIMUS VI EXTREME with 32gb of DDR3 2133mhz. I want to play games on my new 144hz monitor and recently upgraded to a GTX 1070.

Some games don’t really run at the max 144hz when they probably should, depending on the settings, but most do at least over 100fps and I’m ok with that. He says I should be getting a lot more and pointed out that my CPU is a bit old. I personally think the 4790k is as good as any of the 6th or 7th generation intel processors. I have no real idea with Ryzen, but I hear that they are great CPUs for the money and have a high core count. Though I’m sure most games prefer higher clock and single-core performance.

So my budget for an upgrade would be around 450 plus what I’d get out of selling my old CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade my CPU right not if I just play mostly esports games and the occasional AAA game? What do you think I’d get out of my parts?

Thanks for any replies in advance 😊

Solution
A friend of mine thinks I should upgrade my CPU to something newer, but I don't think I need to upgrade because I feel like my CPU is good enough. I have a 4790k overclocked to 4.4 all cores in an Asus MAXIMUS VI EXTREME with 32gb of DDR3 2133mhz. I want to play games on my new 144hz monitor and recently upgraded to a GTX 1070.

Some games don’t really run at the max 144hz when they probably should, depending on the settings, but most do at least over 100fps and I’m ok with that. He says I should be getting a lot more and pointed out that my CPU is a bit old. I personally think the 4790k is as good as any of the 6th or 7th generation intel processors. I have no real idea with Ryzen, but I hear that they are great CPUs for the money...

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Well those are some “old” parts but they will stand their ground. I find that CPU awsome dunno why to upgrade if you your self think its not nessesary, if you upgrade your GPU it would give you more of a boost then CPU and again they are both very good.

If you want to upgrade your PC, you need basicly the whole new cause now its DDR4 and new socets for cpu so dunno i wouldnt chage it if you as the user dont feel the need to change. New AAA even now shold work fine on little lower settings (again in mid-high range).

Some games don’t really run at the max 144hz when they probably should, depending on the settings, but most do at least over 100fps and I’m ok with that. He says I should be getting a lot more and pointed out that my CPU is a bit old. I personally think the 4790k is as good as any of the 6th or 7th generation intel processors. I have no real idea with Ryzen, but I hear that they are great CPUs for the money and have a high core count. Though I’m sure most games prefer higher clock and single-core performance.

So my budget for an upgrade would be around 450 plus what I’d get out of selling my old CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade my CPU right not if I just play mostly esports games and the occasional AAA game? What do you think I’d get out of my parts?

Thanks for any replies in advance 😊
If you are not playing AAA multiplayer games I would keep what you have. To get a significant increase in single thread cpu performance you would have to upgrade to 9700k/9900k and OC them

Solution

TRENDING THREADS