Potentially corrupted HDD?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys, so I downloaded bf3 on my HDD. It installed perfectly. Then I proceeded to install a DLC. It was going pretty fast (around halfway in 5min) I went to wash the dishes and once I was back it was at 0.

I assumed it finished downloading but it was installing it. So I forced quit origin, re downloaded it and it worked.

Could the original un finished install corrupt my HDD? Is my PC okay (sorry I'm not educated enough)

Solution
I doubt it. There's a good chance that it reinstalled over the top of the old one.

If you are concerned, you could do a search for any files "modified" in the time frame you installed it, and maybe you will find a "partial file" that downloaded and didn't install. If so, you could delete it. But I'm thinking there's a good chance you won't find anything.
I doubt it. There's a good chance that it reinstalled over the top of the old one.

If you are concerned, you could do a search for any files "modified" in the time frame you installed it, and maybe you will find a "partial file" that downloaded and didn't install. If so, you could delete it. But I'm thinking there's a good chance you won't find anything.

Solution
May 8, 2018
Sounds like there was just an error when you initially installed. Since everything worked after your second attempt, I think the issue was resolved. In regards to the HDD corruption, I believe you should be fine. I would suggest just keep an eye on it, but in my personal experience your HDD shouldn't be corrupted because of a failed installation

Hello dunkirkman, I wash dishes as well. The HDD is most likely fine, no worries. If you want to be absolutely sure, then download the HDD's manufactures testing software. If you have a Seagate use Seatools. Also it would be a good idea to have a backup place just in case.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Game on and thanks for helping out in the house by washing those dishes.