[SOLVED] Potentially Dead CPU

Jul 1, 2020
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for the lack on information, the parts other than my CPU are in a different location that I will not be able to get to until next week, so I am hoping to focus on CPU troubleshooting today. Also, this is my first post here so I apologize if the formatting isn't what is usually seen on here. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, and one day as I was playing Destiny 2, my PC shut off, and now it won't turn back on. Occasionally, the power lights will flicker, and the fans will whirl, but only for about one rotation of the fans. I am lead to believe that this is the CPU as I have tested a different motherboard, and I have tried some different RAM. I have also made sure that the pins aren't bent and the socket is clean. I am wondering what could have caused this as I was not overclocked, and the game was running on the lowest settings when the suggested settings were in the medium-high range so I don't think it was overworked at this moment. No significant processes were in the background either. Is this something I can troubleshoot and potentially fix or do I need to go buy a new CPU?

Solution
Unfortunately as stated above, I do not have the parts with me to check, nor do I have them in a list somewhere, but I can say that I forgot to mention that I had tested two other power supplies.

At the time of building I had made sure that the parts were compatible but then again, back when I built it I was still new to this so I can't rule out an oversight on my part.
If you tested two other power supplies on the same motherboard that the CPU is installed, it's likely the motherboard is dead or has some other issue. It might be possible to resolve the issue with a cmos reset to go back to default settings in bios. There could be a power short somewhere in the case. It's also possible that something is wrong with the power...

Mr.Frisfruit

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Post a list of all of your components. GPU/PSU/memory, etc. Have you checked the temperatures of the system you were running at that time? Were the ram modules you used compatible with your mobo's brand and model?

Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like a CPU issue but rather a faulty power supply or cable. You're pc should still be able to post without a cpu, afaik. Since you've tested another mobo and ram set I'd say it's power related. Check if all connectors are properly placed and/or test the pc with someone else's power supply, if you can.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
Post a list of all of your components. GPU/PSU/memory, etc. Have you checked the temperatures of the system you were running at that time? Were the ram modules you used compatible with your mobo's brand and model?

Based on what you've said it doesn't sound like a CPU issue but rather a faulty power supply or cable. You're pc should still be able to post without a cpu. Since you've tested another mobo and ram set I'd say it's power related. Check if all connectors are properly placed and/or test the pc with someone else's power supply, if you can.

Unfortunately as stated above, I do not have the parts with me to check, nor do I have them in a list somewhere, but I can say that I forgot to mention that I had tested two other power supplies.

At the time of building I had made sure that the parts were compatible but then again, back when I built it I was still new to this so I can't rule out an oversight on my part.

Mr.Frisfruit

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019

That's not much to work with. The only suggestion I could give you is to reset the cmos and to test the cpu in another system.

If you tested two other power supplies on the same motherboard that the CPU is installed, it's likely the motherboard is dead or has some other issue. It might be possible to resolve the issue with a cmos reset to go back to default settings in bios. There could be a power short somewhere in the case. It's also possible that something is wrong with the power switch on the computer case and you might need to tap the power switch pins with a screw driver to turn the systems.

I would RMA the motherboard as the first part to be replaced if you can't get another CPU to test with. You should also consider the original power supply in the system to be suspect and should only use one of the other power supplies you tested with before, to make sure that the replacement motherboard doesn't get damaged.

Solution