Potentially dumb question but i can't find an answer

G

so i have ocz low voltage gold 1333 mhz 2 x 2gb ram, they stopped making those.
I want to upgrade my RAM but the thing is, i want to know if i can match these modules up with another pair, i have 2 more slots. I just think it would be a waste to just throw RAM out if it isn't necessary.
What kind of features do i need to have on the new ones for them to work with the old ones if i can use a different pair at all?
Motherboard is msi p55 gd45m
Processor is i7 860

Personally, I believe your best bet is to purchase a complete new kit (4x4GB of ram and yes it really is a waste). If you do want to mix and match, your most likely scenario for success is to match the speed, latency, and voltage of the ram. But there is no guarantee it'll work.
I'm wondering what it is you're doing that makes you want (or possibly need) more ram than 8GB...

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I agree!

the only reason I would see buying extra RAM to add to the ones you have would be if you can buy the same exact RAM from the same retailer. otherwise just sell it.

G

my bad, i wrote 2 x 4, it was 2x2. If i just buy a new 8gb kit and try it with the old ram, will anything go so wrong that the whole thing wont work or would i just have to take out the old kit and put the new one in for it to work?

You can attempt to add the ram together and it may work or not. It will not destroy anything within your computer if it doesn't work - it just won't boot up or if it does, it may become unstable for seemingly no reason.
Yes, you can always pull your old 4GB leaving just the new 8GB which should work.

G

so if i add the ram will it reset the bios, or do i have to reset it to add the ram?

G

another quick question while i'm at it, what's the best vid card for 200 euros/ $250

You really shouldn't have to mess with BIOS, just install the ram and restart. If it boots with all 4 modules, good, then you can run memtest to check the stabilty. If it doesn't boot with all four, pull the original two (some mobos are very picky about which slots are occupied) and boot with the two new modules.

I'm going to suggest a new thread for that quesion - a lot of members will be more than happy to give opinion there, lol. Include info like what you want to do/play with what settings. Also include CPU, mobo, PSU info in the thread for more informed results, good luck with that.

G

thanks a lot for you help, it was very useful. Oh and btw, how do i vote best answer?

TRENDING THREADS