[SOLVED] Potentially upgrading from GTX 1060 6GB(looking for recommendations or advice).

Dec 18, 2020
Potentially upgrading from GTX 1060 6GB(looking for recommendations)

Okay, So i'm looking into a few upgrades for my rig, I currently run the above mentioned GPU and an i5-8400 CPU.

I will be eventually upgrading from the i5 to either the i7-10700k or the i7-9700, which is yet to be determined, but before doing so I want to upgrade my GPU. I've done a lot of research but am left more confused now then before.

I was looking at the 1660 super for it's price, but it doesn't seem like 'much' of an upgrade as some of the other cards would offer, of course the price differs a lot. I'm not on a budget per day, as this would limit potential upgrades to pretty much just the 1660.
I've also been looking at the RTX 2060, but I'm yet to make the jump from 1080p gaming to 144hz or 4K, so would that be overkill?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and can supply more information if needed, thanks

(repost as it would appear I posted it in the wrong forum section originally)

Solution
Buy the best gpu that you can afford. It is especially hard right now with shortage in supply for new gen. And as you mentioned you will have to upgrade your output i.e. monitor in order to reap rewards. In my opinion it is worth going higher resolution and refresh rate.
What's your budget? What does the rest of the system looks like ?

madchemist83

Distinguished
Buy the best gpu that you can afford. It is especially hard right now with shortage in supply for new gen. And as you mentioned you will have to upgrade your output i.e. monitor in order to reap rewards. In my opinion it is worth going higher resolution and refresh rate.

Solution
Dec 18, 2020

On top of the i5 and 1060 I'm running a gigabyte motherboard z370 hd3-cf, and 32gb ram

A RTX 2060 is not overkill for 1080p 60 Hz. As games get more complex as new titles are released, the graphical power required to run them at 1080p 60 fps with high settings goes up; that's why your 1060 was a good 1080p 60 fps card when it was released but not so much anymore.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
I'm quite sure the FPS difference in many games between the 1060 6GB and the GTX 1660S is about 15-20 FPS, which is quite a lot. But if you're looking for something bigger, then go for the 1070, or the 2060. Both are really good cards, matched with an i7-10700k you wouldn't have to worry about an upgrade for a very long time.