Question power about USB hub

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I need a USB hub, maybe 1-to-8 and I will usually connect at most 4 portable hard drives (2.5", without power supply alone) and two nano receiver for wireless keyboard and mouse.

Is a USB-hub without individual power supply
enough for my purpose?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I need a USB hub, maybe 1-to-8 and I will usually connect at most 4 portable hard drives (2.5", without power supply alone) and two nano receiver for wireless keyboard and mouse.

enough for my purpose?

No, If you are connecting portable Hard drives to a hub, the power from the single port it connects to is not enough for all those drives. Get a powered one.

USAFRet

Titan

enough for my purpose?
With multiple drives, a USB hub needs wall power.

Otherwise, you're trying to power multiple drives from a single USB port. Won't work.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
No. Again nowhere near enough. Mechanical drives even small ones need way more power than like thumb drives or mice/keyboards/etc.

but I currently connecting two 2.5" portable hard drives (not indivdually powered) to a USB hub which is also not individually powered. But they are working fine. If I try to connect more hard drives at the same time, what is the worst case scenario ?? just not working or will it hurt my hard drives?? Thanks

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
but I currently connecting two 2.5" portable hard drives (not indivdually powered) to a USB hub which is also not individually powered. But they are working fine. If I try to connect more hard drives at the same time, what is the worst case scenario ?? just not working or will it hurt my hard drives?? Thanks

It won't work. 2 drives is likely maxing it out. It just won't put out the wattage for 4.

Why bother buying something that i can tell you, for sure, will not work?