[SOLVED] Power Acting Funky

Mar 8, 2020
After upgrading some parts my pc now flickers and requires me to hold down the power button to turn it on. It’ll flicker about 3 times before actually starting up. Also my pc won’t restart on it’s own when selecting the restart option, I have to go and push the power button like it completely shut down. Any thoughts?

Specs
Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti
Cpu: Intel i5 9600k
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Pro Carbon
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 3000MHz (32bg)
H115i platinum Corsair Cpu Cooler
EVGA 700BR power supply

All of the above components were upgrades. Below is the original pc I purchased and the specs.

Original PC: Cyberpower PC
GPU: AMD Radon RX 580
CPU: AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen 5
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A
Apevia ATX-PR600W power supply

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It wasn't. Apevia sells junk when it comes to their power supply model lines.

Since you are running Windows 10, try disabling hibernation to see if that resolved the restarting problem.

To disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt
Also, make sure that there are no pending Windows updates waiting to be installed and that you have these specific versions of all of the...
What did you upgrade, remove, install or otherwise change?

First thing you should probably do is unplug EVERYTHING that has a plug, with the power off, and then reinstall the connections making doubly certain that nothing is off by a pin one direction or another and that you actually have everything plugged into ONLY things it is supposed to be plugged into. Easy to say "yeah, it is", but we see this ten times a day from people who were equally sure everything was "right".

Going one step further, verifying that EVERYTHING outlined here would be a good idea.

Reactions: Nemesia
Mar 8, 2020
What did you upgrade, remove, install or otherwise change?

First thing you should probably do is unplug EVERYTHING that has a plug, with the power off, and then reinstall the connections making doubly certain that nothing is off by a pin one direction or another and that you actually have everything plugged into ONLY things it is supposed to be plugged into. Easy to say "yeah, it is", but we see this ten times a day from people who were equally sure everything was "right".

Going one step further, verifying that EVERYTHING outlined here would be a good idea.

Well idk how but unplugging everything and replugging it all back seemed to work...? The system doesn't flicker on when pushing the power button and it doesn't require me to hold it down either. One click and it's on so thank you very much for the help! Still wont restart on it's own but the flickering has stopped and that was my main problem.

Well, that's good. At least the main part is solved.

What OS version are you running?

BTW, my advice would be to throw that Apevia power supply directly in the trash. Do not keep it around so that you are not tempted to try and use it with something else later on. I have yet to see ANY Apevia power supply that was not potentially a fire bomb.

Mar 8, 2020
Well, that's good. At least the main part is solved.

What OS version are you running?

BTW, my advice would be to throw that Apevia power supply directly in the trash. Do not keep it around so that you are not tempted to try and use it with something else later on. I have yet to see ANY Apevia power supply that was not potentially a fire bomb.
I’m running a Windows 10. Yeah that power supply is long gone, didn’t think it was a good one anyways haha

It wasn't. Apevia sells junk when it comes to their power supply model lines.

Since you are running Windows 10, try disabling hibernation to see if that resolved the restarting problem.

To disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt
Also, make sure that there are no pending Windows updates waiting to be installed and that you have these specific versions of all of the following drivers installed.

Intel Z390 chipset driver: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/intel_chipse_300.zip

Network adapter drivers: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/Intel_Network_300.zip

Realtek audio driver: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/realtek_nahimic_UAD_audio.zip

Nahemic driver for Realtek audio: https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/Nahimic_Driver_1.3.2.zip

Note - Must update Nahimic 3 in Microsoft store after updating Realtek HD Universal Driver.
Recommend installing this driver for Windows 10 RS3 or later versions.

Solution