[SOLVED] Power and RAM LEDs blinking after new processor installation

Jan 19, 2019
Okay, so I just got a brand new processor (i5-8600k) and I had plans to add it to my current build after taking out my i5-8400. The parts that are currently within and will stay are as follows:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (single 8GB)
GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

Apologies for any misunderstandings in this post. I made this account just to ask for help with this.

PS: I put in the old processor, and not even that works. I was thinking updating my BIOs would do something so I gave it a shot — but now both processors are showing this problem.
I also have taken out and put back in the CMOS battery.

Solution
The pins must be perfect. The cpu socket is not an area where things are 'good enough' if you can see it's off by eye it likely won't work

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It's not easy to do (swap CPUs and not bend something) especially the first couple of times) sometimes they can be straightened out. And since this is your error in the first place likely not covered by warranty you don't have much to lose by trying.

Credit cards make okay pin straighteners. Razor blades are better but a lot more risky.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I have successfully used a mechanical pencil with a metal end on it to go over a pin and bend it back I used to remember what size lead it took but I lost the thing 6-7 years ago and have forgotten. was an old engineering pencil I had from college

Jan 19, 2019
When I finally fixed all the pins, I double-checked then I triple-checked so I was 100% POSITIVE I had it fixed. Even took a magnifying glass to it, and found no more errors. I place everything down, and it seems okay. Except not. Not only did it start smoking, some of the pins melted and it left a small burn on my brand new processor. Looks like it’s time to get this thermal paste off the processor (if you know how, could you instruct me? unless it’s the same way as it would be for cleaning out the socket) and return it to Newegg if possible. I seriously don’t want to have just wasted $250.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Most likely something shorted previously either in the CPU or board when your tried to boot it with the bent pins, when you fixed the pins the damage had already been done and melted something when all the right connections were there enough to try and boot