Question Power button delayed response

Sep 30, 2020
I have an intermittent problem with a new computer whereby pressing the power button does nothing at all for around 5 seconds and only then the power light and fans come on and the machine boots up normally. Sometimes it works normally, so the power light and fans respond to the power button being pressed immediately. Replacing the PSU did not fix the issue, so I am thinking it is something to do with the motherboard :- ASUS B550-PLUS TUF GAMING.

Anyone know what is causing this, or has experienced a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

No expert but I've been reading about different problems with sleep state S0 and no wakes etc... in windows 10 there are different settings for power button and reset. My copmuter does the start delay at times usually displaying the Bios start.
Try to determine difference between two start ups my help.
When do they happen only at reboot, after complete power down, after sleep , etc....

Sep 30, 2020
Hi.

This happens when powering up after a complete power down. It's a desktop and it also happens after switching off and on the power at plug, so don't think it could be related to sleep functionality?

The machine is entirely inactive during the 5 second delay - no fans, no lights, nothing. As if there was no power going to it. Then it abruptly whirs to life and boots up normally.

Waking from sleep, by waving mouse around, the machine behaves normally.

I have an intermittent problem with a new computer whereby pressing the power button does nothing at all for around 5 seconds and only then the power light and fans come on and the machine boots up normally. Sometimes it works normally, so the power light and fans respond to the power button being pressed immediately. Replacing the PSU did not fix the issue, so I am thinking it is something to do with the motherboard :- ASUS B550-PLUS TUF GAMING.

Anyone know what is causing this, or has experienced a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to start up the PSU using the 'paperclip' test?

Also do a CMOS reset and see if it behaves better.

Sep 30, 2020
5 second delay is normal before the system will start a 'hard' shutdown, which is graceless and can harm a running OS. If you want the power button to work correctly for a 'soft', or graceful, shutdown then you have to set up Windows to initiate it.

Type Power Plan in Cortana Search, click on Choose a Power Plan. Then click on 'Choose What the Power Buttons do'.

Make sure "Shut Down" is selected for "When I Press the power button:"

The 5 seconds is for powering up. There is a 5 second delay where nothing happens at all - no fans, power light, nothing, as if the power was not plugged in. Then the machine abruptly whirs to life.

Sep 30, 2020
Note, this is not like the normal startup delay where you get the screen to go into the BIOS. Literally nothing at all happens for 5 seconds. As if you were pressing the power button on a machine that was not plugged in.

Sep 30, 2020
Have you tried to start up the PSU using the 'paperclip' test?

Also do a CMOS reset and see if it behaves better.

I'll have a go with a CMOS reset.

Haven't tried the paperclip test - I figured if the power button wasn't working then it wouldn't power on at all, not wait for 5 seconds then power on (note this isn't 5 seconds holding it down, just 5 seconds after pressing it normally).