[SOLVED] Power button failed

SteelMouse

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Hello,

I have a NZXT Phantom 530 case and the power button failed. I got a replacement power switch with the wire. Now the problem is the replacement's wire length is small and doesn't reach all the way for proper cable mangement. I was wondering if I could just cut the wires on the old longer wires and just replace the switch. That way I will be using the old wire which is long and the new switch. Only thing I can think of is to make sure the negative matches up with the negative of the new switch wire. Neg to neg and positive to positive, can I just cut them up, fold the wires the together and tape them like any normal electrical wiring?

Thank you for time, I appreciate it a lot.

Solution
Splicing the new switch into the old wiring is generally viable.

Just leave as much old wire as you can and do not cut off any wiring on the new switch.

You do not want to come up short on the length through any error of omission or commission.

As for joining the wires I recommend heat shrink tubing. Very easy to use and you can make a very good connection. Especially if you have done such things before.

Electrical tape works in a pinch and such connections can last a long time. However, that can be problematic with thinner braided wires.

Just to give you some idea of how heat shrink tubing is used/applied:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4QA6qHb90

Note how carefully the copper...

Ralston18

Titan
Splicing the new switch into the old wiring is generally viable.

Just leave as much old wire as you can and do not cut off any wiring on the new switch.

You do not want to come up short on the length through any error of omission or commission.

As for joining the wires I recommend heat shrink tubing. Very easy to use and you can make a very good connection. Especially if you have done such things before.

Electrical tape works in a pinch and such connections can last a long time. However, that can be problematic with thinner braided wires.

Just to give you some idea of how heat shrink tubing is used/applied:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4QA6qHb90

Note how carefully the copper wire is wrapped beforehand. If you use electrical tape, which is okay, wrapping the tape around the copper wire will go much easier.

And the tape is indeed much easier to remove (vs heat shrink tubing) should removal become necessary.

Another option: very small wire nuts. I have used them a couple of times for temporary connections for audio speaker wires that got damaged. Sometimes those connections ended up as permanent. :)

Solution