[SOLVED] Power Button is physically broken, how to turn on laptop without it

supermememaker26

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
Hi, as you see on the title the power button is very broken, it is so broken that there is no more button, is there anyway to fix it. This laptop has one bastard stripped screw that i cant remove. And on the power button, no button, only daughterboard. It is a CQ56 Presario laptop

Solution
If the new board comes from china and takes few months you can power it on by removing cmos battery (round coin battery) from the motherboard and plugging in power cable, it will boot up without pressing power button, when you plug it.

Or short pin 3 to ground on the power button connector (motherboard side), i suggest trying removing cmos first.

USAFRet

Titan
But does anyone know how to remove that one stripped screw?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
depends on how stripped the screw.
a rubber band method often works for me but if the screw has thread lock on it that might not work.
put a strip of rubber band on the screw, press the driver into the rubber and gently attempt removal.

If the new board comes from china and takes few months you can power it on by removing cmos battery (round coin battery) from the motherboard and plugging in power cable, it will boot up without pressing power button, when you plug it.

Or short pin 3 to ground on the power button connector (motherboard side), i suggest trying removing cmos first.

Reactions: supermememaker26
Solution

supermememaker26

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
depends on how stripped the screw.
a rubber band method often works for me but if the screw has thread lock on it that might not work.
put a strip of rubber band on the screw, press the driver into the rubber and gently attempt removal.
I removed it by using pliers and removing the hole where the screw is, besides the screw is very stripped, nothing can grip to it.