[SOLVED] Power button light turns On but nothing else happens

Nov 6, 2021
So last night I put my PC to sleep (I think it's sleep in English, the literal translation is Suspend) as usual and when I came back I pressed some keys and the keyboard and mouse turned on but nothing happened so i thought maybe one of my cats messed with the HDMI cables again and the PC was running and it was only disconnected or something but it also wasn't it, so after trying everything to turn it back on i long pressed the CPU button to turn it off, and pressed it again but this time it wasn't even making any noise. The keyboard was only turning on when I pressed a key but it only lasted for like half a second. Same with the mouse. Screen was still off forever, without signal and no noise. So i started googling and read some people saying to try and "hard reset" it by unplugging, pressing the button plugging it back on and turning on instantly, but still the same, this time mouse and keyboard don't even light up. So i read some people saying that disconnecting the CMOS battery and the power cable from the motherboard solved their issue so i tried but still, nothing changed. CPU light turns on but nothing else works, mouse and keyboard don't even light, no fan noise or anything. I thought maybe the PSU was dead but it seems to be powering the LEDs, and the USB-c port charges my phone and the fan does turn on (very soft tho, I don't remember if it's the same as before, never noticed). I also disconnected and reconnected almost all conectors (just didn't mess with the processor cpu) on the motherboard to see if they weren't off but nothing changed. The CPU does not turn on. Any help or tips would be appreciated, anyone have any guesses? Thanks for the attention guys, sorry for the bad English and wall of text
Infos:
Windows 10 home x64
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
Intel core i7 7700
HD Seagate firecuda 1tb 3.5"
Mobo pcware ipmh110g
PSU Lite-on PS-7501-5 500w
any other info necessary I can post

Last edited:
Solution
the last big test was the GPU and it also didn't work. I guess those are the hardware that demand more power and the PSU can't handle more than just the CPU and some small stuff(?). I don't really understand how short circuits work, could they make similar behavior on the motherboard for example?
If the cause of the issue was a short circuit, the system would continue to power on and off, indicating that it is protecting itself from damage, even with just the CPU and one RAM. Since you said that it was working without certain components, and the big test was the GPU (and HDD) and it failed those both, it means that the power supply is not powerful enough or there is something wrong with the cables that supply power to those two...

General_Cool

Distinguished
Thanks for the attention guys, sorry for the bad English and wall of text
Your English is better than some native speakers I know. :)

Starting with troubleshooting, it sounds like you've tried a lot of the stuff, but there is still some more you can do. First would be to try removing your GPU and try plugging your cables into the motherboard (this should be OK since your CPU has an on-board GPU). Try to boot. If that does not work, remove all of your sticks of RAM. Then, put only one in, and make sure it is in the slot closest to the CPU. Try to boot. If this doesn't work, replace that RAM stick with another and try again until you have tested all of your RAM sticks. Make sure your PC is completely off and unplugged while changing parts!

If this does not work, it is a sign of one of the two issues. The first could be that something short circuited in your motherboard overnight or the RAM slot or slots are broken. The second problem, which sounds more likely, is that your power supply short circuited, which is very likely given that it is only powering one thing on your computer.

Good luck with the troubleshooting!

Reactions: Ibrahimnneto
Nov 6, 2021
Your English is better than some native speakers I know. :)

Starting with troubleshooting, it sounds like you've tried a lot of the stuff, but there is still some more you can do. First would be to try removing your GPU and try plugging your cables into the motherboard (this should be OK since your CPU has an on-board GPU). Try to boot. If that does not work, remove all of your sticks of RAM. Then, put only one in, and make sure it is in the slot closest to the CPU. Try to boot. If this doesn't work, replace that RAM stick with another and try again until you have tested all of your RAM sticks. Make sure your PC is completely off and unplugged while changing parts!

If this does not work, it is a sign of one of the two issues. The first could be that something short circuited in your motherboard overnight or the RAM slot or slots are broken. The second problem, which sounds more likely, is that your power supply short circuited, which is very likely given that it is only powering one thing on your computer.

Good luck with the troubleshooting!
Hey bro thank you a lot for the answer and your time! I took out my GPU and tried it. connected directly to the mobo hdmi but nothing change. Then I took out all the RAM as you said and tested basically all variations possible even with no ram at all but still nothing. The weird thing is that there was not even a beep, isn't it supposed to beep with no memories and etc?
Some other things I noticed after the post:
All the USB ports work (front and back) BUT only to charge phones and only for a few seconds between 2s-4s. If I disconnect and connect it again with works again, the same. But only phones, it doesn't do anything to mouses and keyboards. The Ethernet connector doesn't light up aswell.
The CPU fan never moved
The PSU fan actually only spin once and it stops.
The CD/DVD ROM does not open but honestly I've never even used it so idk if it opens without a command, there's no button and I just tried pushing it.
The GPU fan acted exactly the same as the PSU fan, basically only 1 spin and stopped.
And the front led (just a red led on the cabinet) only lights up for half a second.
So for what ive seen so far, the only think that keeps powered is the power button light, everything else seems to only work for some seconds or not work at all. This makes me think it has to be the PSU right? Or it's possible that the motherboard is causing all this?

General_Cool

Distinguished
One more thing to try would be to check to see if the power supply has a voltage switch. It will be a red switch located on the back of the power supply. If the voltage switch is set incorrectly (different depending on what type of outlet your country uses) that would be the cause of the issue. I went ahead and checked your power supply online but it doesn’t look like it has it, I may be wrong though.

If that doesn’t fix your issue (or your power supply simply doesn‘t have the switch) I think it would be safe to assume the power supply is the cause of the issue. You could check to see if the CPU and the cooler are seated correctly, however I do not believe those to be the cause of your power on and off loop.

To see if your power supply is the issue, you could either buy a testing kit from a tech store or try the paper clip test (here is a guide: https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf). This basically tests to see if the power supply can turn on properly. Before conducting this test please make sure the motherboard is not plugged into the PC in any way.

In the scenario that it fails this test, your power supply will need to be replaced. If it successfully passes the test, it could mean that your power supply is not powerful enough for the components in your PC, or your motherboard/CPU could be bad.

Nov 6, 2021
One more thing to try would be to check to see if the power supply has a voltage switch. It will be a red switch located on the back of the power supply. If the voltage switch is set incorrectly (different depending on what type of outlet your country uses) that would be the cause of the issue. I went ahead and checked your power supply online but it doesn’t look like it has it, I may be wrong though.

If that doesn’t fix your issue (or your power supply simply doesn‘t have the switch) I think it would be safe to assume the power supply is the cause of the issue. You could check to see if the CPU and the cooler are seated correctly, however I do not believe those to be the cause of your power on and off loop.

To see if your power supply is the issue, you could either buy a testing kit from a tech store or try the paper clip test (here is a guide: https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf). This basically tests to see if the power supply can turn on properly. Before conducting this test please make sure the motherboard is not plugged into the PC in any way.

In the scenario that it fails this test, your power supply will need to be replaced. If it successfully passes the test, it could mean that your power supply is not powerful enough for the components in your PC, or your motherboard/CPU could be bad.
It actually worked with the paper clip lol the power supply fan started instantly and went on for as long as I kept the AC power cord on. There's no voltage switch btw.
Is there any way i can check if it's providing enough power?
Edit: I did some more tests and it really seems to be the PSU, it's still working but it doesn't seem to be generating enough power.
I disconnected everything from the motherboard again and reconnected one by one testing. PSU + CPU and CPU_fan = the two fans worked so i continued from there. I added the Usb 3.0, f_panel, f_audio cables and both fan still worked. Then i added the hdd cables and now both fan don't work again so i removed it and connected the CD-ROM cable instead but the fans wouldn't turn on aswell (But if I removed it, they worked) so the last big test was the GPU and it also didn't work. I guess those are the hardware that demand more power and the PSU can't handle more than just the CPU and some small stuff(?). I don't really understand how short circuits work, could they make similar behavior on the motherboard for example?

Last edited:

General_Cool

Distinguished
the last big test was the GPU and it also didn't work. I guess those are the hardware that demand more power and the PSU can't handle more than just the CPU and some small stuff(?). I don't really understand how short circuits work, could they make similar behavior on the motherboard for example?
If the cause of the issue was a short circuit, the system would continue to power on and off, indicating that it is protecting itself from damage, even with just the CPU and one RAM. Since you said that it was working without certain components, and the big test was the GPU (and HDD) and it failed those both, it means that the power supply is not powerful enough or there is something wrong with the cables that supply power to those two components. It is extremely unlikely that there is an issue with both the HDD and GPU causing this issue.

Since your power supply is non-modular (meaning the cables are not removable or changeable), your only option is to buy a new power supply (unless that power supply is still in warranty, in which case get it repaired that way).

Since power supplies are cheap (at least here in the States), I think that this is a preferable outcome, only because a motherboard, CPU, RAM, or GPU issue would run you into the multiple hundreds of dollars (or whichever currency you use, it would be significantly more expensive). I would recommend getting a Corsair or EVGA power supply rated at least 80+ Bronze and at a wattage if 550.

Solution
I suspect your psu.
The "paper clip" test is worthless; it can only confirm a dead psu, but not proper operation.

A cheap psu can over time cause strange issues.
At worst, it can damage all it is connected to.
See if you can't borrow a known good psu of at least 500w to test with.

If you must, buy a replacement to test with from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee if you want to return the psu.
Buy only a quality psu. Easiest way to know quality is to look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Buy something in the 650-750w range to allow for a future graphics upgrade.
A psu will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Nov 6, 2021
Hey guys, thank you so much for all the help and your time trying help me "solve" it. I will try to borrow a good PSU from a friend to test it (even tho I'm 99% sure it's the problem), or I'll go directly to the store and bring the PC, I know some of them test it for you before buying. I'll try to get one of the recommended, i read some of the reviews of the PSU & the motherboard that came with my PC and basically all of them said its just trash and a bomb just waiting to happen lol, I'm gonna try to get a decent one now atleast. Again, thank you for the replies!!