Power button momentary switch

eligri97

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
Hi!

I've built a tiny PC in a toolbox, but need a on/off switch. I've wired upp a momentary switch to the pwr plug on the motherboard, and that works, but I'm not sure if it's safe to use. This is how it works:

Not pressed in: Circuit broken
Pressed in: Circuit connected
Released: Circuit broken

My concern is: What happens if I press it when the PC is on? What happens if I hold the button down? The latter will make it so the circuit is "shorted" for a long period of time, not just for a split second.

Cheers

Solution
Yes, they are supposed to stay connected when held down. It's how the system can tell between a long press (hard power off) and short press (soft shutdown).

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Uhh if that momentary switch is connected directly to the power controlling pins on an ATX motherboard, that's pretty much the standard way it works. Usually one quick click turn it on and shuts it down. A long hold causes a forced off in case the OS hung up.

eligri97

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
But are they supposed to stay "connected" when it's held down? Thought it went like this normally:
Released: Not connected
Pressed: Connected for a split second, then auto-disconnected.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Yes, they are supposed to stay connected when held down. It's how the system can tell between a long press (hard power off) and short press (soft shutdown).

Solution