Power button not working on AsRock FM2A68M-HD+

Nov 25, 2018
I tried to fix a display problem with my wife's PC which has the above motherboard. For some reason it wasn't getting any signal to the monitor. Long story short I had an older Radeon graphics card I thought I could put in to use instead of the on-board graphics, but ended up being way too big for the space.

In the process of getting it in I removed cables including the jumpers for the front panel. When I put it back to how it was before and did what I should have done in the first place and reset the CMOS (hindsight is a wonderful thing) I found the power button on the front panel was no longer working.

Resetting the CMOS caused the machine to boot as soon as the power cable was plugged in and everything seems ok on that side, but I can't be resetting the CMOS every time just to get the computer to start. I've had a look in various forums but haven't been able to discern a definitive solution. I've tried the screwdriver trick across the jumpers to no avail. I'm starting to think maybe one of the jumpers is stuffed and if that's the case I'm guessing a new mobo is in order.

Any advice would be most welcome.