Question Power button pressed all lights and all fans flash what is the cause?

Dec 11, 2019
Hello I have read similar forums to what this question is seeking but I have no found a solution yet. My problem is that when I press my power button all of my lights in the system turn on and all of the fans spin momentarily and then immediately turn off. This does not happen everytime I try to press the power button only after I hold it then then plug in the power supply to the wall and flip the switch on the power supply. I believe there was a warning sign about a week ago when my computer would randomly power down repeatedly. This happened twice then I made sure cables were plugged in and the problem seemed to go away. Last night into this morning something changed. I was using my computer and shut down like normal last night. I went to turn my computer on in the morning to find that nothing happened. It was after I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in that I got the lights and fans to flash and run for less than a second. This outcome is repeatable under the conditions described and nothing happens if I leave it plugged in and try to repeatedly power it on. I believe I have verified the power supply by preforming “the paper clip test”. This test involved putting a paper clip into slots 4 and 5 on the top of the 24 pin connector and powering on the power supply which ran fine with the fan spinning. I have tried both of my sticks of ram which are the same separately, switching them out for each other and nothing changed. I have unplugged my graphics card and nothing changed. I have unplugged my two four pin cpu cables and nothing happened( I didn’t know if anything should have happened with that but I saw someone say they tried that). Recently in the system I have installed a new graphics card and a new cpu cooler but the system was working fine after the installation of each until the power down issue last week. I have also tried to switch out the power supply cable to the wall and that did not work.
My system:
Cpu ryzen 5 1600x
Cpu cooler freezer 34 duo
Gpu Radeon 5700xt
Motherboard asrock taichi x370
PSU EVGA supernova nex650 gold
I have two case fans that I took from my old water loop and have those plugged into my chassis fan headers and two other thermaltake Case fans. ( when I undid a tight zip tie I did not cut or snip a cable but there was pressure put on some of these cables and I do not know if that would be a problem).
Ssd Samsung 860 evo 500gigabyte
Hdd 1tb barracuda seagate
Case is the view 37 thermal take which is not the best for cooling but with my 4 case fans 3 intake from the front and push pull cpu fans pushing air to the exhaust and overall positive airflow thermals even under load and benchmarks have not been problems.
i also use two monitors but went down to no displays to try to test problems with just starting the computer and nothing happened.
I appreciate your time please let me know of anything to try or point me in the direction of maybe this same thread that I couldn’t find thank you.

Dec 11, 2019
Hello I have read similar forums to what this question is seeking but I have no found a solution yet. My problem is that when I press my power button all of my lights in the system turn on and all of the fans spin momentarily and then immediately turn off. This does not happen everytime I try to press the power button only after I hold it then then plug in the power supply to the wall and flip the switch on the power supply. I believe there was a warning sign about a week ago when my computer would randomly power down repeatedly. This happened twice then I made sure cables were plugged in and the problem seemed to go away. Last night into this morning something changed. I was using my computer and shut down like normal last night. I went to turn my computer on in the morning to find that nothing happened. It was after I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in that I got the lights and fans to flash and run for less than a second. This outcome is repeatable under the conditions described and nothing happens if I leave it plugged in and try to repeatedly power it on. I believe I have verified the power supply by preforming “the paper clip test”. This test involved putting a paper clip into slots 4 and 5 on the top of the 24 pin connector and powering on the power supply which ran fine with the fan spinning. I have tried both of my sticks of ram which are the same separately, switching them out for each other and nothing changed. I have unplugged my graphics card and nothing changed. I have unplugged my two four pin cpu cables and nothing happened( I didn’t know if anything should have happened with that but I saw someone say they tried that). Recently in the system I have installed a new graphics card and a new cpu cooler but the system was working fine after the installation of each until the power down issue last week. I have also tried to switch out the power supply cable to the wall and that did not work.
My system:
Cpu ryzen 5 1600x
Cpu cooler freezer 34 duo
Gpu Radeon 5700xt
Motherboard asrock taichi x370
PSU EVGA supernova nex650 gold
I have two case fans that I took from my old water loop and have those plugged into my chassis fan headers and two other thermaltake Case fans. ( when I undid a tight zip tie I did not cut or snip a cable but there was pressure put on some of these cables and I do not know if that would be a problem).
Ssd Samsung 860 evo 500gigabyte
Hdd 1tb barracuda seagate
Case is the view 37 thermal take which is not the best for cooling but with my 4 case fans 3 intake from the front and push pull cpu fans pushing air to the exhaust and overall positive airflow thermals even under load and benchmarks have not been problems.
i also use two monitors but went down to no displays to try to test problems with just starting the computer and nothing happened.
I appreciate your time please let me know of anything to try or point me in the direction of maybe this same thread that I couldn’t find thank you.
System is around 1 year and a half.

TRENDING THREADS