Power button stops working when CPU power is connected

sigsegvee

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
As the thread title says, I'm seeing an issue with the new computer I'm building.

With only the CPU, heatsink/fan, and connectors for the case's front panel hooked up to the motherboard, when I connect the 24-pin power supply and fan connector, the power button on the case works. Obviously the computer won't do anything since the CPU isn't powered, but the button's LEDs turn on when pressed. The motherboards decorative LEDs start glowing when the power is plugged in as well.

But when I plug in the 8-pin CPU power connector, the power button stops working. The LEDs don't even light up.

I don't currently have the motherboard or PSU mounted in the case, I just have the cords to the front panel attached. I don't have RAM or a GPU connected either. I've already tried re-seating the CPU and remounting the heatsink. I've double and triple checked so I'm pretty sure I have the connectors for the front panel right. I have the little motherboard speaker hooked up so I should be hearing beeps if the computer starts at all.

I don't really know what to do next since I don't even have beep codes to work off of. Am I missing something obvious (Entirely possible. I don't build computers very often) or is one of my parts probably DOA?

Parts:
NCase M1 v5
Intel 6700k
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING
LIAN LI PE-550W 550W SFX
Noctua NH-U9S Tower Cooler

Solution

Certainly sounds like an electrical problem. Something isn't right so the PSU refuses to power up the system. What exactly is wrong idnk. Must ask this. Please don't take offense. The connector(s) does say CPU on it?

Can you please post your complete system specs? I suspect the PSU is the issue.

Solution

sigsegvee

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
I'm definitely an idiot.

I had the right PSU connector, but I had it forced into the wrong port on the PSU. I'm guessing it's because I attached the cord to the PSU while it was in the case, obscured by the GPU so I didn't see the obvious color coding.

Aside from a tiny bit of wear on the connector, it all looks fine, and now this breadboarded mess gives me the beeps I would expect from a breadboarded system with no RAM.

Guess I just needed someone to suggest the really obvious answer. Thanks aquielisunari and DRagor.

NICE:D!