[SOLVED] power button - suddenly unresponsive, lights briefly but does not boot up

Sep 2, 2019
Hi

My son has the following gaming PC build (see below) It was recently upgraded (2 weeks ago) and has been running fine. He shut it all down last night and then this morning when trying to turn it on, nothing happens. The power button lights up for a millisecond and then it all goes off and is completely unresponsive from therein. The motherboard lights come on, but no fan or anything else. If we turn off the power it does the same thing again (button lights up, insides flash on, and then goes off)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X·
NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card
ASUS X470 PRIME X470-PRO Motherboard
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD
600W Bronze PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz
Coolermaster MB510L Case
Windows 10

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is exact make and model of the PSU?
Was there any overclock or XMP enabled at all?
Is it plugged directly into the wall or through a UPS for example?
Have you unplugged the CMOS battery, left for a minute and plugged back in?

I would go back over everything in the case and just ensure nothing has dislodged or wasn't properly connected - here is a guide of everything to go over: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is exact make and model of the PSU?
Was there any overclock or XMP enabled at all?
Is it plugged directly into the wall or through a UPS for example?
Have you unplugged the CMOS battery, left for a minute and plugged back in?

I would go back over everything in the case and just ensure nothing has dislodged or wasn't properly connected - here is a guide of everything to go over: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Solution
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, I knew that the make of the PSU would be needed. Unfortunately, I have no log of what was actually used in the original build from AWD. I will dig out the packaging later this evening (as they did send it all when the build arrived). let's assume for now that it's fairly basic - sorry, I know that's not helpful.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi, I knew that the make of the PSU would be needed. Unfortunately, I have no log of what was actually used in the original build from AWD. I will dig out the packaging later this evening (as they did send it all when the build arrived). let's assume for now that it's fairly basic - sorry, I know that's not helpful.
No worries - you can always just open the side of the case and look for the model.
Have you covered the other questions I asked and the guide I posted my friend?

Sep 2, 2019
in reply to your other questions, it's plugged directly into the wall (I've tried other sockets), I haven't taken out the CMOS battery (I'll try that). re XMP/overclock, no it wasn't enabled.