[SOLVED] Power button turns system on but not off

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Hello. I just finished rebuilding an office pc in a new case so I can add some new parts. Everything went awesome until it was time to connect the front io panel. Through trial and error I got the the power button to work, sometimes. I can power the system on just fine but it is unresponsive to all kinds of pushing, prodding, poking, and swearing when it comes time to turn the thing off. Anyone know a fix for this?

Solution
DB,
My buttons are set the same as you in the Windows Power options BUT my case does Not have a dedicated Sleep Button.
It has a Power Switch/Button and a Reset Switch.
I never use the Reset Switch (so I guess that could technically be the Sleep Button) and ONLY use the Power Switch/Button when absolutely necessary after a crash (usually caused by me tweaking my OC settings and testing).
I have always had to hold the Power Switch for 5 seconds to shutdown my PC, even when I was running Win 7.
What is your case model?

What is your EXACT power supply model?

What is your motherboard model?

Have you tried REMOVING the pins going to the on/off switch on the front panel from the motherboard and shorting the pins with a flat blade screwdriver. Short it once should turn it on. Short it again should turn it off. If that works, then the switch on your case is either bad or you have it wired wrong.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
What is your case model?

Have you tried REMOVING the pins going to the on/off switch on the front panel from the motherboard and shorting the pins with a flat blade screwdriver. Short it once should turn it on. Short it again should turn it off. If that works, then the switch on your case is either bad or you have it wired wrong.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Cooler aster 300ql. I have not tried that, is it safe to do lol

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
What is your case model?

Also how could the switch be bad if it turns on fine?

Plenty of switches that will work one way but not the other. It doesn't mean that it IS bad, but it's worth checking. If you don't want to, then don't.

Yes, it is safe so long as you read the directions and follow them as explained at the link I posted. If it wasn't safe, we wouldn't use it as a common troubleshooting tool. If you have too many thumbs and are incapable of touching two pins together with flat screwdriver or paperclip WITHOUT touching any other pins, then it might be best if you paid somebody else to work on your system.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally plug the reset switch where the power switch belongs, and visa versa?

Reactions: DMAN999

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Plenty of switches that will work one way but not the other. It doesn't mean that it IS bad, but it's worth checking. If you don't want to, then don't.

Yes, it is safe so long as you read the directions and follow them as explained at the link I posted. If it wasn't safe, we wouldn't use it as a common troubleshooting tool. If you have too many thumbs and are incapable of touching two pins together with flat screwdriver or paperclip WITHOUT touching any other pins, then it might be best if you paid somebody else to work on your system.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally plug the reset switch where the power switch belongs, and visa versa?
First off, I didn't mean is it safe as in are you giving bad advice, I just wasn't sure about any risks, sorry about that. Second, I have come this far I think I could do that 😂. Lastly, I'm not sure that I got the pins in the right place as I just tried it in each position until it worked. Probably not the best way but I was getting fed up with trying to understand the diagrams online of it. Here is what it looks like :
https://ibb.co/N9jHpxD

That's the brand (Lenovo) the platform (Intel) and the chipset (H81) but is not the model. The model should be printed somewhere on the board. Usually along the top edge or down the middle somewhere.

Since this is obviously a prebuilt system motherboard, then it may have a proprietary front panel pin cluster on the motherboard that requires the wiring connector that came with the Lenovo case that it was originally installed in, or an adapter harness to connect a standard aftermarket case to that board. You may need to do a bit more investigating to find out, but it's not likely that it's the same. Knowing the board model, exactly, would be helpful.

You MIGHT also be able to get the board model by typing msinfo32 into any search or run box on the start menu, pressing enter, and then in the system information applet that opens look for the "baseboard product" or "baseboard model" in the right hand panel.

The power switch is a momentary contact switch.
If it is working to power on, the switch is not defective.

If you press and hold the power switch for 5 seconds, the motherboard should shut down.
This is not the best way to shut down since it essentially crashes the pc.

Use the shut down tab to shut down gracefully.

Better, yet, use sleep to ram.
That puts the pc in a very low power state.
Sleep and wake are much faster.

I don't know how you guys have your power configurations set up, but on any system I've ever owned if the power button is configured in windows as

"When I press the power button = Shut down" rather than "Sleep", then it is not necessary to hold the power button for five seconds. That is only necessary if you wish to override something that isn't working right and "force" the system to shut down. A simply press of a correctly configured power button begins the shut down process if it is configured and working correctly. If you have a case that does not have a sleep button, then the power button might be configured for a "soft off" or "sleep" with only a single press.

Most cases have both though and should not be configured that way, unless you choose to, but then if you do you should already be aware of how that's going to affect things.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
DB,
My buttons are set the same as you in the Windows Power options BUT my case does Not have a dedicated Sleep Button.
It has a Power Switch/Button and a Reset Switch.
I never use the Reset Switch (so I guess that could technically be the Sleep Button) and ONLY use the Power Switch/Button when absolutely necessary after a crash (usually caused by me tweaking my OC settings and testing).
I have always had to hold the Power Switch for 5 seconds to shutdown my PC, even when I was running Win 7.

Solution

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
That's the brand (Lenovo) the platform (Intel) and the chipset (H81) but is not the model. The model should be printed somewhere on the board. Usually along the top edge or down the middle somewhere.

Since this is obviously a prebuilt system motherboard, then it may have a proprietary front panel pin cluster on the motherboard that requires the wiring connector that came with the Lenovo case that it was originally installed in, or an adapter harness to connect a standard aftermarket case to that board. You may need to do a bit more investigating to find out, but it's not likely that it's the same. Knowing the board model, exactly, would be helpful.

You MIGHT also be able to get the board model by typing msinfo32 into any search or run box on the start menu, pressing enter, and then in the system information applet that opens look for the "baseboard product" or "baseboard model" in the right hand panel.
Thanks for the help mate. I figured out it doesn't work until I had the reset switch also. Thanks again!