Power button unresponsive until I switch the PSU off and back on

bongpacks

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
This new build of mine has been nothing but a headache. 1 out of 10 times I try to power on my system I get some lights for the split second I have the power button depressed then the system doesn't power on and the power button becomes unresponsive, only flipping the switch on the back of the PSU off, hitting the power button to drain remaining charge, and flipping the switch back on on the PSU will allow me to then power on my system. Any ideas on what might be the culprit? I still have time to return any of my hardware, many thanks in advance.

AMD FX-6200
MSI 970A-G46
16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600
XFX Radeon HD-6870 DD
Rosewill Green Series 630W

check to see if it a bad switch...pull the two wires off the power switch on the mb you can start the mb by touching the two pins with a jumper or a paper clip. if it still act up i would see if it does it outside your computer case (short). if it does try another video card and or one stick of ram. also have you check to see if your bios is up to date.

bongpacks

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the reply smorizio, yes the BIOS is current, my RAM passes any tests I can throw at it. The entire system runs flawlessly but I'm having this odd once every now and then problem with powering up. I can't actually reproduce it on demand, it just happens when it happens. I am RMA'ing the video card since it's temperatures don't seem right to me, it doesn't overheat but it's idle temp is a bit too high for my liking. I wish this problem was more an all the time thing so I could doagnose it but unfortunately it's so random I can't figure it out. It seems to only happen when the PSU is completely cold, as in has been sitting overnight when it does happen but it's not guaranteed to fail either as it's been booting up cold fine for the past week until this morning.