[SOLVED] Power Button wire broken, and reset switch wont turn on PC

May 12, 2020
My PC has a broken Power Wire that goes to the button, and all the forums suggest using the reset button instead, only issue being that the reset button only resets the pc for me. I use it all the time it does work, but when i try turning the PC on with it it does not work. ive checked the power and everything. Please don't make me do anything risky as i am not that crafty with wiring, but im good at PC's.

Thanks in advance guys!

Solution
Looks like any normal power switch to me, but has a cut/ripped wire. Most hassle free would just be to order a new one.

An example from Amazon

You will have to do some detective work yourself, or get someone else to help you, if you want to be absolutely sure it's compatible with mounting to your case; and if it isn't, find one that is.

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Assuming here that you mean the power on and reset switches that go from your case front IO to your motherboard.

Just plug the reset switch to the power switch pins, then proceed to use the reset switch as your power on/off.

All the power button is, is just a short between the two pins. You can even touch something conductive like a screwdriver to the 2 power switch pins and you will see it power on.

Reactions: Vishnu Sudarshan
May 12, 2020
Thanks for the reply! I want you to know that a bit from the wire of the power connector is broken, like there is a bit of electrical duct tape on the end of the wire leading to the switch. Will it still work?
Thanks

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Looks like any normal power switch to me, but has a cut/ripped wire. Most hassle free would just be to order a new one.

An example from Amazon

You will have to do some detective work yourself, or get someone else to help you, if you want to be absolutely sure it's compatible with mounting to your case; and if it isn't, find one that is.

Solution