Power button won't work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
well, I (finally) got the parts for my computer that I was building today, assembled it. Now, this was the first time I ever did this, and I had some rough banging against the motherboard happning because it was a tight squeeze.

Now, when everything is wired in, I go to turn the power on to see if the motherboard is broken or not, and the button isn't even powering on. The PSU seems fine, I didn't replace it but the light on the back turns on.

Any ideas on how to power up my computer?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
did that, button still isn't starting it :\.

Just to recap:

- Tried to turn on when I removed all the wires from the front panel (wich was actually top left corner for some reason). The only wires currently plugged in is the power, 4/8, and the wire connected to the button.

- Tried when everything was plugged in. You were right, the wiring was not as complicated and the board was marked easily, I wired everything the first time in 10 minutes and there liteally was no other viable option for wiring which is why I was confused when it didn't turn on.

- I switched the button behind the power supply. The power supply is lighting up when I plug it in, but the power button isn't working when I press it.

:| I also removed everything and started from scratch, I examined the board and I could find no visible scratches, only a little stain mark on the outer rim (didn't touch any of the copper connectors).

I'm gonna keep looking at it in hopes that there is something more to this wiring. I'll also post a pic if that helps =\.

What I find when I plug everything in is that there are 3 wires coming from the power supply that don't seem to plug in anywhere. Two thick looking wires (the same that is connected to my hard drive) and one smaller wire labeled P6.

Also, I have to say, thank you for bearing with me through this the whole time. I REALLY appreciate it since you've kept helping me for days now >.<. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me get this setup.

top left corner, now I'm confused.... lol. the IO panel is in the back of the case and the motherboard mates to that, correct ? meaning everything plugs in from outside the case right ?

in order for the machine to start you need proper power. you said 4/8 pin but what about the 20/24 pin ? and everything else needs to be plugged in. power to all and data cables to dvd and HD.

you installed the motherboard with the standoffs already in the case ?

what kind of case........ htpc media ?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Yup, the panel is in the back and that's how the motherboard fits. The front panel is in the top left, and the standoffs were built in XD. The top left corner has all those thing you mentioned, +hdled etc.

20 pin is plugged in, 4 pin is plugged in, and the button was plugged in. I don't think I plugged in all the SATA cables before, but I did now and it's still not starting >.<.

I'm not sure about the case, it's whatever case comes with a compaq presario CQ5814 XD.

I can try to take a picture and put it on here (not sure if it's possible to post pictures but I have seen them on here before).

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I thought I cracked or at least scratched it, but like it said there isn't anything on it. When I said it was jostled around, I meant I had a tough time and it was hitting the side of the inside of the case a couple of times as I struggled to get it into place. The bottom and the impacts were what I was worried about.

These are the parts I bought: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hjVW
My hard drive, I'm not sure, but I have a grand total of three to try and I've tried em all and they all worked perfectly before.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
MAZINGSUPERCALAFRAGALISITC NEWS!!!!! :D

After my 7th session examining the wiring I noticed that my HDD only had one cable plugged in. I was doubtful that it would affect the computer but after plugging it in, almost everything works!

All the fans are spinning, optical drive works, button works. There's only one problem; the back of the mobo, all the wires (ethernet, sound, and the connector to the moniter) all seem to not work/power on. My ethernet cable lights up if it has power going, it isn't. And my screen isn't turning on. I hear no beeps coming through on my speaker at all.

So...from one problem to the next XD.
However I consider this progress! XD

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
oh XD I kinda DID plug the wire into the motherboard, I didn't even realize you could plug it into the card XD.

It works! But my old copy of windows xp is still on the HDD I plugged in, will this be a problem, or should I start using all those discs that came with the new hardware XD?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I have an old drive and a new copy of windows, however this old hard drive has the old operating system on it. I have to uninstall old windows and install new windows for this to work, right?

if you are using the old drive to install a new windows operating system............ just set the boot sequence to dvd first boot device and HD to second . disable the floppy ( unless you have one installed )

put disc in dvd drive, reboot machine. bios will load and ask you to boot to cd. say yes ( hit enter key afew times i guess )

when it asks to boot to cd: say yes::: ( once and only once because the machine will reboot several times before the operating system is done being fully loaded and you will see that screen again. )

if you are goint to have more than 1 HD in your machine, do the opsys install with just that 1 drive in it first.