Power button won't work

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
well, I (finally) got the parts for my computer that I was building today, assembled it. Now, this was the first time I ever did this, and I had some rough banging against the motherboard happning because it was a tight squeeze.

Now, when everything is wired in, I go to turn the power on to see if the motherboard is broken or not, and the button isn't even powering on. The PSU seems fine, I didn't replace it but the light on the back turns on.

Any ideas on how to power up my computer?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
The standoffs are fine, no extras are touching the motherboard but there's one hole in the motherboard with no standoff underneath.

Front panel wires?

And there's no power button :c. I watched a video and some guy turned his on by shorting something, but I can't find out what he did.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Also, how fragile are mobo's? Would a couple of scratches be enough to cause them to stop working completely?

I can assume the answer is yes, which is why I'm stressed. I already overspent my budget on the dang parts so getting a new one would take a while which means several weeks without a computer :c.

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
my first thought is the the power switch cable isn't connected properly. It was working fine before? is it on and set to the right voltage? Are the fans turning on? the button itself click? just to rule out s imply broken button.

hope you followed the wiring diagram in the booklet that came with the mother board........... pull all those front connection wires......find the power switch wire........ the booklet will tell you where it goes........... on the bottom where the 2 wires attach to this small plastic thing that connects to the board.......... look at the back of it. there should be a small arrow. this will be your positive terminal.......... it will also probably be the colored wire. all the negatives will be the same color..... usually.... plug that into the board on the proper pins. power up. hit button......... start ?

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
It still isn't starting, I double checked the wires and I can't find nnd any that are out of place =\.

Could it just be the motherboard that's broken? How badly broken would it have to be for the computer to not turn on at all?

asrock, yes, my book sucks too............. but the board is plainly marked. again. pull the front panel wires. only plug the power switch in. look for arrow on the back of the connector. that will be the positive wire.......... think the switch is bad........... look for the reset switch. use that in place of the power switch. see if the pdf manual will help.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=asrock%20b75m-gl&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asrock.com%2Fmb%2FIntel%2FB75M-GL%2F&ei=chheUOu-CMb40gGoh4H4BQ&usg=AFQjCNFMUf6lv4kD3oBpC2GnX2kCPjmW3w

front panel connectors.......... you know, all those little wires.......... like power switch and reset and HD led, etc.

open the front page of the booklet. look at left page........ see the wiring diagrams ?

i wired mine without even looking at the book but I found the box just to look and I pulled the side off the case......... the board is clearly marked.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I don't see anything labeled power switch or led on the board or in the booklets first few pages, or any wires labeled as that in the computer >.<. I'm probably missing something, damnit I feel useless >.>.

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I still honestly can't find it :|. There's lots of small wires and I looked at the board intensively and I can't find anything labeled reset switch. There are no switches on this board at all, actually >.<.

I've had my computer sitting there with it's lid off for a week now, unable to figure out how to turn it on T_T.

if you have the side off and the case lying on it's side............ look at the lower right hand corner of the motherboard. Look very carefully because the writing is small......... you will see abbreviations like......... +pled/+pwrbtn/+rest/+hdled......... the ( + ) being the positive terminal.

if you can't figure this out take it to a computer shop and have somebody do it for you. If they can't do this in 5 minutes time and start the machine for you take it someplace else.