[SOLVED] Power cable for GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
I have a Dell Precision Tower 5810 with a 685W PSU and it has an external power board to power the CPU power, PCI etc. This is the link to the board: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362512033183. I noticed on the board an 8-pin connector that is split up into 2x 6-pins, but the graphics card I want to get needs an 8-pin.

I am wondering if I can:
  • use the 6-pin and put it into the 8-in on the graphics card without the 2 extra pins
  • buy a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter and use one of those 6-pins to power the 8-pin into the card
  • buy an 8-pin to 8-pin male to male extension (can't find one anywhere though)
  • use an existing 8-pin to 8-pin+6+2pin from my old Strix 970 to power the card?
I am really confused with the whole 6-pin vs 8-pin because 50% people say 6-pin can also deliver 150W and the other 50% say it is dangerous to do that and should instead use 8-pin. If somebody could suggest the best way forward I would be forever grateful :)

Here are the links to photos of the board, power connectors and cables:

Solution
No problem! The motherboard has an 8-pin to dual 6-pin cable. I have an 8-pin to 6+2 pin from another pc. For some reason on that 8 to 6+2 pin adapter, the 8-pin does not fit into the 8-pin on the motherboard. The shapes of the 8 holes are slightly different so it won’t go in. :(
The 8 pin to 6+2 is obviously off a different make of computer or PSU, different manufactures like to use their own sockets....it insures that you buy your cables from them :)

Like I said earlier, most cards that have an 8 pin will come with a 2x6 to 8 pin adaptor in the box with the card.....if you don't have one, your best bet is to buy one as it's the easiest solution to your problem.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
You need all 8 pins to be connected, so you can't just plug in a 6 pin. This means you either need an 8 pin to 8 pin, but you say you can't find one. So your best option would be a 2x6 pin to 8 pin, many cards come with these in the box.
Thank you for the fast reply! So would I plug the 2+6 pin into the board and the 8 pin into the graphics card or the other way around?

Thank you for the fast reply! So would I plug the 2+6 pin into the board and the 8 pin into the graphics card or the other way around?
Sorry for late reply, got busy. What plug/s do you have? I thought you had two 6 pins from an 8 on the board. You mentioned a 6+2, which is not the same as 2x6. If you have a 6+2 plug, then it's both a 6 or 8 pin for the card, and that's why it's a good design as the same plug can do both.

Assuming you only have two 6 pin plugs, then they both go into the 2x6 to 8 pin adaptor and the resulting 8 pin goes into the card.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Sorry for late reply, got busy. What plug/s do you have? I thought you had two 6 pins from an 8 on the board. You mentioned a 6+2, which is not the same as 2x6. If you have a 6+2 plug, then it's both a 6 or 8 pin for the card, and that's why it's a good design as the same plug can do both.

Assuming you only have two 6 pin plugs, then they both go into the 2x6 to 8 pin adaptor and the resulting 8 pin goes into the card.
No problem! The motherboard has an 8-pin to dual 6-pin cable. I have an 8-pin to 6+2 pin from another pc. For some reason on that 8 to 6+2 pin adapter, the 8-pin does not fit into the 8-pin on the motherboard. The shapes of the 8 holes are slightly different so it won’t go in. :(

The 8 pin to 6+2 is obviously off a different make of computer or PSU, different manufactures like to use their own sockets....it insures that you buy your cables from them :)

Like I said earlier, most cards that have an 8 pin will come with a 2x6 to 8 pin adaptor in the box with the card.....if you don't have one, your best bet is to buy one as it's the easiest solution to your problem.

Solution

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015

Is there any adapter between the 8-pin on the motherboard and the 8-pin to 6+2 that comes with graphics cards? Thanks again :)

TRENDING THREADS