Question Power cable melted ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DSzymborski

Titan
Why are you worried about a PSU possibly blowing up an $80 PC? I mean you've had a long string of desktops in that price range so why worry about this one, or the $50 RX570 4GB in it?

I mean, if he's worried about the price of cheap PSUs, he'd probably be worried about that $80 PC. I'm not saying he needs some fancy PSU, just *anything* that isn't group-regulated or more than a decade old. He'll save on PSUs alone in the long run by spending more and getting PSUs that aren't already at the end of their lives.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cx550M is bottom of the barrel, right next to the VS. Even the CV is better and the CX is considerably better in the Corsair line up.

The Corsair MWE Gold is the best of that bunch, but the Cx550M at least is dc-dc. The rest are 6+ year old designs, some might be double that, depending on the revision.

DSzymborski

Titan
Cx550M is bottom of the barrel, right next to the VS. Even the CV is better and the CX is considerably better in the Corsair line up.

The Corsair MWE Gold is the best of that bunch, but the Cx550M at least is dc-dc. The rest are 6+ year old designs, some might be double that, depending on the revision.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the CX 550M.

But in this list, just being DC-DC and not being last made in 2008 puts you at the very top!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the CX 550M.

But in this list, just being DC-DC and not being last made in 2008 puts you at the very top!
No, but considering the age of choice of the other psus, it stands a good chance of being the 2018 model, originally bought by the seller in a random box from a discount store which bought bulk sales open boxes from return/display stock at BestBuy....