Power Cables to 1080 ti

markPrzy

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I just purchased a Zotac 1080 ti mini, and I currently have 2 separate 6+2 cables powering the two 8 pin power connectors. I have a supernova g2 850 watt PSU. I was looking for ways to get rid of one of the cables and replace it with one that has a 6+2 and a 6 on it. The back of the GPU box says the following "Minimum of one 8-pin and one 6-pin supplementary power connector". Does this mean the card will work with 8 and 6? and since it says minimum, does that mean it would work better if I leave it as 8 and 8?

Solution
It will work with just one 8-pin but with less performance.

You can let the extra +2 dangle around the 6, no need to get a headache about it. G2s have high-quality cable, don't buy another one you don't need.

But, why would you not use the full 8+8 it supports?

No way....

You need to use BOTH cables with the 8 pin connections.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
It will work with just one 8-pin but with less performance.

You can let the extra +2 dangle around the 6, no need to get a headache about it. G2s have high-quality cable, don't buy another one you don't need.

But, why would you not use the full 8+8 it supports?

Solution

markPrzy

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I'll leave it at 8 and 8, no issue. I was just wondering why the box would say 8 and 6 but the card would have two 8 pins. It would also be better for my cable management to have only one cable running 8 and 6, but I have plenty of space in my case so its not a big deal, thanks for the info though!

You can't run a GTX 1080Ti off one cable, it will crash because it won't have enough power to run it.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
why the box would say 8 and 6 but the card would have two 8 pins
More power = more performance + overclocking potential. Most gaming cards allow additional power for boost and overclocking.

Same with the motherboard. Some high-end non-server mobos have two 8-pin inputs for CPU instead of one. Example: i7 + XPOWER.