[SOLVED] Power concerns with a 390X

Jan 7, 2019
Would I run the risk of frying a graphics card (namely a Sapphire R9 390X) if I plugged two separate vga cables from a fully modular power supply into it? It requires two 8 pin connectors, and the more modern EVGA full-modular PSU's vga cables terminate in an 8+6 pin, but the card takes 8+8pin. Would plugging the 8pin parts of two vga cables into each 8pin input on the 390X overvolt it or something? Or should I just take the performance hit from running the old power hungry card on 8+6?

Solution
You normally want to plug in two separate 8 pin connectors from two different cables so as not to over-current the cables and possibly do damage. As long as those cables are the correct ones for that PSU connect back to the same PSU and not two different ones (yes people have tried that).

popatim

Titan
You normally want to plug in two separate 8 pin connectors from two different cables so as not to over-current the cables and possibly do damage. As long as those cables are the correct ones for that PSU connect back to the same PSU and not two different ones (yes people have tried that).

Solution