Question Power connector for HP ML370 ML350 G6 SFF Backplane Board 511785-001

Feb 15, 2023
Hello All,

I am wondering if this board could be added to a PC and be powered by the current PSU? If so are there any adapter cables that can utilise spare Molex cables and turn them in to a 10 pin EPS ( I think its an EPS ).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

See pics below, If it wasn't for wanting to keep everything intact then I would take the 10 Pin cable off the board and put an adapter on the end.

s-l500.jpg

This board below is what the 2 power supplies plug in to.
81AwcMEdg8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 10 pin (P3) connector is what I am querying - wondering if there is a cable that has that connection one end the the other connection a molex or sata?
81Y0AkVD2+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
No way to say if it uses any standard cables, hp like to sell proprietary stuff so you can't buy other vendors parts.

This will be more complex than others since sata connections have 3,5 and 12 volt connections. You might find a premade cable but it is going to be a high risk since the HP cable likely goes to their special model of power supply.

I would suspect you can figure this out if you want to spend the time. Since sata power connectors are standard...well assuming HP is not using some special HP only drive....you should be able to take a voltage meter and see which pins on this socket connect to which pins on the drive connector.

You could then build you own converting cable. If this is a project just for the fun of it then I guess, otherwise I would try to find a aftermarket board that takes a more standard power connector.

Reactions: randompunk
Feb 15, 2023
If I knew more about voltages and all that jazz I would quite happily make my own cable so that I could power the board sufficiently as everything else is straightforward.

I just wanted it in my current system for ease really, I have a lot of hard drives that need going through etc... plus I like to be different and try different things. I am not one for throwing money about if I can make something myself - not that I have money to throw about.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Making the cables is not really hard all the parts are pretty standard and easy to get. It would be can you find a diagram that shows what voltages are on which pins. You could then cut the ends off standard sata cable and put them in the proper positions.
You will have no issues finding diagrams of standard cables but all these proprietary ones are a pain. HP just likes to make things hard. They used to modify the bios in many of their machines so you could only put things like official HP memory or disk drives in them.

Its been a while since I looked at them but they used to sell PCIE cards that had external sata connectors.

Reactions: randompunk
Feb 15, 2023
Thanks I will have a look to see what I can find. Like you say it's pretty straight forward... its just knowing the voltages. Yeah brands like HP are a pain in the neck making it so you can't go else where for parts.