Power consumption as a function of resolution?

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I was interested to find in Tom's write up of 1060 cards they distinguish power consumption at a few different gaming resolutions, in this case showing 1080p consuming around 30% less than 4k.

Does this generally hold true/scale out? ie, if one were to use something like an MSI 1070 Gaming X, which measures a rather high 180w under torture test, would we assume it would use a good 30watts less if gaming at "just" 1080p?

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Well, at a higher resolution the GPU will run harder than it would at a lower resolution effectively increasing power draw.

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Why? They only tell us what we already know, that its max draw is 180ish watts. The topic for conversation is how much, nominally, might it draw in real world gaming at less than 4K resolutions.

I guess maybe thats what I'm wondering: at what point does a game and/or resolution NOT result in a 100% GPU load? This may seem like a silly questions, but I used to think that a GPU always ran up to 100% usage in a game, probably because I'm only accustomed to mediocre cards. :) But apparently that's not the case.

I hardly ever see 100% usage, because I turn vsync on. What's the point of putting out more frames than your monitor can display if all it does is make the image seem choppy and put extra strain on the GPU?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

it always depends on the card, game and settings, and the resolution the card is outputting, at 4k maxxed a high end card will be at or just under 100% load, however a GPU might not go to full load because it doesn't have to depending on the variables listed above. Resolution and game settings have the biggest effect on GPU load.

Are you serious with me right now.... Again... READ.

Dont just say " oh it only tells you what the max power draw is and we already know "

Do you really think I would be that dumb to post a link that only show the max power draw??

R.E.A.D
Scroll to bottom and use the "Table of contents"

You see max powerdraw for only the GPU @ 1080p, 1440p and 4k

Game titles:
The Witcher III
DX12: Rise Of The Tomb Raider (2016)
DX12: Hitman (2016)
DX12: Total War: WARHAMMER
DX12: Ashes Of The Singularity Benchmark
OpenGL: DOOM (2016)
DX11: Far Cry Primal
DX11: Anno 2205
Fallout 4 Benchmarks
Grand Theft Auto V
DX11: Tom Clancy's The Division
DX11: Thief 2014
DX11: Battlefield Hardline
DX11: Alien Isolation
DX11 5K Ultra HD - Middle Earth: Shadow Mordor Benchmarks

Now again READ.

Really do dislike people who ask a question and gets an answer but are to lazy to even scroll and read... pffff why ask in the first place then.

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

First, take a breath, relax. Second, I'm just not seeing what you are: I actually read through 3DGuru's entire review (long before you mentioned it) and I've flipped through it again but I do not see where they document power draw at various resolutions across their game suite. I see frames per second charts...not watts. This of course is typical of benchmarks and is why I found it so interesting that Tom's looked at power consumption across resolutions on the 1060 (see chart labeled MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G - Power Consumption Different Workloads)

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

it kinda makes sense though, the 1060 isn't really looked at as a 4k capable card, even though it is, its the sweet spot card of the GTX Pascal line up for 1080p 60+ gaming. It is worth mentioning that when a GPU is working harder it uses more power, when running games at higher resolutions it uses more power since it is working harder at 4k than it would be at 1080p.

Solution