Power-cut while shrinking the drive, now the drive is corrupt. How do I recover it?

Sep 12, 2017
I was shrinking my drive because I generously gave 40GB to C drive >_>. wanted to expand and it and while it was shrinking I had an unfortunate power cut now the drive doesn't show up in the file explorer but can see that space on disk management. I tried recovery tools and they seem to find my files but when I hit recover they ask me to open a directory which can hold the data and I don't have any....... I just want my drive back.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can only really recover files from one hard drive to another hard drive.

If you don't have a second hard drive, and disk utilities don't do anything for you, format, reinstall, and then restore your files from your latest backup.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Then I'd just wipe and restore the most recent backups of my files.

Sep 12, 2017
if that can work it'd be awesome, just a reminder that the partition has some super really important stuff, also, please describe or more step-by-step approach to backing up the file after wiping it, I don't want to lose my data after wiping and nor take risks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The assumption was that you had been backing up your important files already. The only time you can dependably protect important data is before something bad happens. If you haven't been taking care of backups -- it's an important part of PC upkeep -- your solutions become trickier.

Do you have a thumb drive large enough to hold the data that software recovers?

Sep 12, 2017

I could've already recovered everything if I had a drive enough to hold all the data in that drive with recovery tools.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Well, you have your options. I wish you the best of luck.

Solution