Question Power cycling is it the motherboard?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
My PC keeps power cycling, comming on for a few seconds then going off then on again.
I have tried an alternative power supply - same problem.
I then removed one memory module from the second slot on the motherboard and the problem went. It might appear to be the memory that is the problem. However when I moved the other memory module from the first slot into the second the problem recurs. It only seems to happen when I put either of my two memory modules in the second slot.

In light of the fact that the system works with either memory module in the first slot and fails with either memory module in the second slot is it likley the problem is with the motherboard and it's second memory slot rather than anything else?

I have an asrock AB350M motherboard and two 8Gb memory modules. The motherboard has only two memory slots.

If it's the motherboard then I can return it to the retailer as it's within its warranty period.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards Steve

Hi,
My PC keeps power cycling, comming on for a few seconds then going off then on again.
I have tried an alternative power supply - same problem.
I then removed one memory module from the second slot on the motherboard and the problem went. It might appear to be the memory that is the problem. However when I moved the other memory module from the first slot into the second the problem recurs. It only seems to happen when I put either of my two memory modules in the second slot.

In light of the fact that the system works with either memory module in the first slot and fails with either memory module in the second slot is it likley the problem is with the motherboard and it's second memory slot rather than anything else?

I have an asrock AB350M motherboard and two 8Gb memory modules. The motherboard has only two memory slots.

If it's the motherboard then I can return it to the retailer as it's within its warranty period.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards Steve
Is it a awkward micro board that you have to activate the second slot

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi, It's the latest bios already. I spoke to the retailers technical departmetn tand they agreed to take it back test it and if it's faulty replace it. So I'm just waitng for them to collect it the day after tomorrow.

Regards Steve