Question Power Cycling please advise.

Aug 24, 2019
  • Hi ! I need help,I'm desperate now,any suggestion will help. Build : Asus Z97-A I7-4770K 16 gig Corsair ram GTX 970 650Watt PSU Here's what happened, About a month ago my computer started acting weird,as in it would power cycle a few times before booting up,or would restart sometimes...but then it just got stuck in power cycle every two seconds,not even post,so I thought it was my PSU,went and got a new one. It worked...for two days,before power cycling again,and then I'm like ***...I took the whole build apart and put it back together, still nothing,so then I figured the Mobo battery is 5 yrs old,maybe it went bad and it's not registering RAM on boot. And I changed it,and it worked...for two weeks fine like nothing happened. Came home today,turned it on,power cycles again...if it's the motherboard,why did the psu and the battery help it temporarily? Could be a short or a bad capacitor?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
  • What exact PSU make and model did you have before and what make and model did you replace it with?
  • Are your RAM modules from the exact same pack? (not just the same model)
  • Have you tried removing GPU and running on integrated?
  • Do you have a MB speaker to listen for any beep codes?
  • Did you change anything before the issue started occuring?

Aug 24, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!
  • What exact PSU make and model did you have before and what make and model did you replace it with?
  • Are your RAM modules from the exact same pack? (not just the same model)
  • Have you tried removing GPU and running on integrated?
  • Do you have a MB speaker to listen for any beep codes?
  • Did you change anything before the issue started occuring?
Was Corsair hx850 went with hx750 due to price,same ram modules,tried without gpu same thing,no beeps from Mobo,it literally starts for a second,kicks the fans in and then cuts off and repeats,and I haven't touched the PC since I built it 5 years ago.