The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I'm running PDVD 3.0 under W2K SP2. DVD drive is a Toshiba (SCSI). System includes a TBird 1.33/266 and 756MB Crucial CAS2; MB is an Abit KT7A RAID (No RAID installed.)All drivers are current including the VIA 4-in-1 4.32 Beta (installed the drivers before the drive-maybe that's the gotcha?) The problem is a BSOD when I try to play a DVD subsequent to the first try on a fresh boot; usually (but not always) after having put the machine into standby. That is, when I first boot up, play a DVD, close the program, and go back later to play another DVD. Requires a hard re-set to recover.

Thanks for any help on this.

Good Karma

G

A BSOD will usually tell you which program caused the failure. Sometimes a .dll or .vxd

What does the BSOD say? is it consistent?

Sometimes windows will not propperly return from a standby state, requiring a restart to fix it. Try turning of the standby feature. You can have the monitor turn off, and the HDD's spin down, but just don't have the computer go into standby.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
The error string reads: stop: 0x000000D1 (Ox6D726F66, 0x00000002,0x00000000, 0x6D726F66)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Same stop every time, regardless of login priviledge.
I have tried turning off auto standby, but typically I use the keyboard shortcut when I know I'm done. The only option there is for a complete shutdown.

FYI, I am booting with a 29160; everything looks solid. All drivers are current, as is the BIOS.

Good Karma

The_Beaver

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I have finally tracked the problem to the newly released (and installed) BIOS update 3.10.0 for the Adaptec 29160 controller. Once flashed back to 2.57.2 all BSOD issues gone. PDVD starts regardless.

Thank you for time and thought on this.

Good Karma

G

hmm... not many ideas jumping into my head, but here is one:

find out what drivers/devices hold the memory addresses in question.
I run 98se, but you should be able to find the same information in 2k. Open the system properties in the control panel, and go to the device manager. Open the properties of the computer, and in 9x, there is a resource viewer. Find the device that holds the memory range which contains those declared by the BSOD. 0x00000002, and 0x00000000 should be the BIOS, but the others will be a certain device.

Once you have this, hopefully you can debug that device and stop the BSOD's!

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.