Power error for Video Card

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Yes I bought a cheap piece of crap. I have an Ultra Modular PSU. It's 500w. The full specs are below.
+3.3=28A +5=30A +12=34A -12=.8A -5=.3A +5VSB=2.0A
I get the "Video card is getting insufficant power" error. I have
(1) Gigabyte DVD Burner
(1) Asus CD Burner
(1) Plextor DVD Burner
(3) Fans (LED)
AMD 3200+ (Stock HSF)
4 (512x2) Corsair Ram PC3200
BFG 6800 ULTRA 256MB OC (AGP) (Says it requires a 480w)

What is the deal!? I made sure the power cables were all secure. The PSU is about 6 months old now, and I get this intermitently. Is this signs of a big ol piece of crap PSU. The air coming out of the PSU is warm not hot.....Lights do not flicker on fans (sign of failure). Please tell me your guys thoughts. I know there isn't much to diagnose here, but.....I'll probally end up buying a new one...like an OCZ modular 520w, or a OCZ 600. Why is my card getting no power?...or should I say insufficiant power. Just out of nowhere i get the Nvidia power error window.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wizoforb on 07/21/05 05:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oxymoron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Well, I have some thoughts, but no answers. If I remember correctly, the AGP card does not have an "Extra" Power connector? My BFG PCIE 6600 Card does not, either. I had the same message when I first installed that card, and spoke to BFG reps for months before one told me that I "had to keep in mind" that the message itself was a "fallacy".
He said the driver(?) was looking for that "Extra" connector present on the 6800 PCIE cards, and when it could not be found, would generate the "insufficient power" warning.
I don't claim to know much about drivers and such, but maybe this will help.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Yeah that sounds interesting. I never thought about the drivers not detecting the extra power. This card actually has two extra power slots on it. I thought it was weird that this message would come up when I have more than enough power going to this card. Thanks......So there is no driver fix for this error? Seems that they should you know?

Do you have both of the extra power cables running to the card? One is insufficient.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Oh yes....yes I do....I have two cables running to the card. I have the Ultra Modular 500w. I was thinking maybe the cables from moving them around so much has made an intermitent open inside it. (you know cables that have been bent, and kinked make them sometimes open). I have the cables coming straight from the PS to the card. I've been tinkering with this comp alot...So I had it torn apart atleast twenty times...literally.....lol...thats why i think the cables are bad, but it works just fine....No other problems otherthan the insufficant power error (no lock ups....shut downs, or anyother unstable case)

Try using a power cable from different bundles. Anything that has little/no load on it is prefered.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Ill try that. I'll post later today what the results are. Anything else guys? So no Driver updates for this problem which was mentioned earlier?

Haven't been looking and I haven't heard of any - that doesn't mean that there are no updates, though...

TRENDING THREADS