Power in the 12v rail

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hi all again.

I just bought a PII 720 BE and a Gygabyte MA78G Mobo. My doubt now is the PSU.

I'll probably OC just a little bit (the max amount that the stock cooler can handle) and only b using the integrated graphics.

What is the minimum power needed in the 12v rail? 16A? 20A?

Thanks.

Are you afraid to tell us what PSU you're actually using?
Running any HDDs or a DVD burner? Case Fans? They use the +12V rail too.
You might as well list everything the PSU is powering

nunogand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I just bought the cpu and mobo. Still waiting for a SATA hard-drive (500Gb) and RAM (2+2Gb). Will also be using an old DVR-RW and IDE harddrive (for storage). Maybe 1 or 2 fans...

I haven't a clue about PSU.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I recommend Corsair VX450. It has 80+ efficiency, it's dead silent and has 33A on the +12V rail, which is more than enough for your build. If you can't find this PSU, or don't like Corsair, search for a similar Seasonic, OCZ or PC P&C PSU. They are all quality brands.

+1. Or if on a budget get a Corsair 400CX.

4745454b

Titan
With no actual GPU, you can probably use a quality 300W, or an 400W if its old/suspect. Its hard to find a PSU that has less then 16A on the 12V rail, your system as listed probably needs less. I'm not sure how many amps the 720 needs, 14A would do it in my opinion.

I also vote you go out and get one. You still haven't told us how old it is, and if it lacks the plugs you need for the new motherboard, its a good indication that you need something newer. If your buying a new mobo and CPU, RAM and 500GB harddrive, why risk losing it all to a power spike/bad PSU? People have already listed some $50 quality PSUs, whats another $50 after spending what you spent already?