2x g.skill 16gb ddr4-3000 ram
2x 500gb Samsung SSD evo850
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8gb
Silverstone 80g 750W power supply
3x 120mm Antec case fans
2x Rosewill 120mm RGB fans
1x 200mm Antec case fan
Antec 1200 Full Case

Recently running the system was no hassle, it worked as intended.
A short time ago I started having random shut downs, no reboot afterwards. Upon trying to boot, I noticed some fans wouldn't be on, or one of the fancy RGB lighting effects on a component wouldn't be powered on. After these power downs the system will not boot, no display on monitor, no prompts, but the system appears to be powered on and ready to go save 3x case fans, or the large fan. These issues happen when certain programs are launched or run.
  • Player Unknowns Battleground
  • Escape From Tarkov
  • Google Chrome
Programs I've run for hours after issues started with no crashes
  • Rimworld
  • Neverwinter nights classic
  • Google Chrome
  • Adobe Acrobat
I have updated my drivers, checked for Windows updates, deconstructed the system to ensure no build up of excessive dust, burnt out pins, cable tearing/fraying, proper plug in, etc.
Sometimes it will power on after a few minutes of sitting, sometimes it will not. It has been sitting for about two hours currently with no sign of restarting.

Other troubleshooting includes running whocrashed, checking the SSD states with Samsung's magician program, memtest, usually running CAM for monitoring heat, never irregular, or running above 70C on CPU and graphics, looking up anyway to test other components when the system runs.

I think it's power supply or failing graphics card, but I don't know the most, I'm not lost when it comes to diagnosing issues, but I am not the best. It does seem that intensive programs for CPU cause it most with repeatable incidents.

I am sorry if this is a repost, I scrubbed a few pages and saw nothing similar, I am looking for any help, please and thank you for the time gentlemen.

Last edited:
Solution
Based on the symptoms you describe the PSU is a likely culprit.

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer - you may find some error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the random shutdowns and failures to restart. Multiple and varying errors are another indication of a problem PSU.

You may also find a number of "Windows was not properly shutdown" errors.

Zentaa

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

Or perhaps a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

The test is not absolute in that the system is not under load per se.

However, as a matter of elimination, the voltage testing may prove diagnostically helpful.
Yeah, i use them in my day to day, i was gonna grab one from my shop and test it on Monday, so that is a probable cause with these symptoms? Lack of power? it seems a bit likely for the fact i have had the Silverstone for i want to say 4 or 5 years now.

Ralston18

Titan

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer - you may find some error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the random shutdowns and failures to restart. Multiple and varying errors are another indication of a problem PSU.

Solution

Zentaa

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Alright, I appreciate the input gentlemen, I will test the PSU with a multimeter and check these logs and hope that is the issue, easy fix in my opinion. I will get back to you!

Zentaa

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I am not too keen on how to use these programs, but i have done the most basic of research, Google, and it is looking like all of my errors, many many many "Windows did not shut down properly", and Kernel-Power 41(63). With what i have read it all says most likely indicator here is a hardware based issue that leads into PSU. You guys are the best!

Zentaa

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I never got around to testing my old PSU, but i did purchase a new one, Corsair 650 Gold, havent had any issues since, i appreciate all the help! Thanks for the time!